No announcement yet.

Berryman's in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tips BigD. I am just outside of Hampton...not very far from your original stomping grounds as you know.

Comment

Just a quick update here, I bought Kleen-Flo Carb and Parts Cleaner (#651). It was $50 for a gallon can !! Anyway, the carbs have been stripped down and the first one is soaking now as we speak. As Big D mentioned, smell is strong and very hard to get rid of and he is not kidding. Holy Cow, I might have to start sandpapering layers of skin off!! I will be using gloves with this potent stuff from now on.

Comment

Oh yeah,use gloves.Kinda forgot that pearl

Comment

Gloves, respirator, Tyvek suit...40 acres of uninhabited wasteland.

Not the most fun I've had with this bike, that is for sure.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Last carb went in to soak tonight. One thing I noticed when drying the cleaned carbs with the air compressor was the little brass balls set into the side of the carbs all had what looked like clear silicone had seeped out during the dip. The 'silicone' looking stuff blew away during drying and has me slightly concerned. Is this to be expected, or does anybody even know what I mean? I can try and get a picture from this last carb when I take it out tomorrow night if that would help...

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              Oh yeah,use gloves.Kinda forgot that pearl
              It should have kinda been common sense I think...

Comment

After the first smell yeah it kinda should have been

Comment

Originally posted by flatty_420 View Post
                  Last carb went in to soak tonight. One thing I noticed when drying the cleaned carbs with the air compressor was the little brass balls set into the side of the carbs all had what looked like clear silicone had seeped out during the dip. The 'silicone' looking stuff blew away during drying and has me slightly concerned. Is this to be expected, or does anybody even know what I mean? I can try and get a picture from this last carb when I take it out tomorrow night if that would help...
                  I experienced the same thing when I cleaned mine. The bike ran well after that with no leaks.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    I experienced the same thing when I cleaned mine. The bike ran well after that with no leaks.
                    Awesome, that's a load off my mind.

Comment

Almost back together....two of the pilot jets were extremely clogged. They are back in the dip for a 2nd 24 stint after a frustrating day trying to find pin/micro drill bits around here. Ended up loosening up the crud that was plugging the tip with the wifes sewing needles (shhh, don't tell her). After they get out of the dip tonite I should be able to blast out the remaining crud with the compressor.

Comment

OK, so she purrs like a kitten now and idles perfectly (idle was the problem that started started the whole carb teardown).

In hindsight, I think the problems were caused by the clogged pilot jets and one of the intake boot o-rings was leaking. So it seems to work fine on the lower end of the throttle and pulls like a lunatic in the high end of the rpm range, but seems to fall a little flat in the midrange....does this sound like the lean midrange issue that I ignored and glossed over in the carb rebuild pdf?

Comment

Have you had a chance to do the highest idle adjustment and vacuum synch?
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

Nope, I'll try that next then. I might have to hire out the vacuum synch as I'm not equipped for that.

Comment

Originally posted by flatty_420 View Post
                              Nope, I'll try that next then. I might have to hire out the vacuum synch as I'm not equipped for that.
                              Not too many Herring Chokers on the GSR. The only person identified through a member's search is:

Joneman

There must be somebody with a vacuum gauge closer to you than Fredericton, though.
                              '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X