new here and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new here and need some advice

HI my name is william, and i just bought a 81 gs650l for 300 bucks and need some carb help, when i picked up this bike i was told that it ran but needed a petcock, because it would not stop flowing fuel (had locking pliers on the fuel line when i bought it.

the man i bought it off of said he cleaned the carbs but could never get it running right.

when i brought it home i seen it had no air filter but it would run if i held the throttle wide open when i let off and it dyes it will puke gas every were.

i am new to Suzuki's and was wanting to know were to start my guess is that the floats need some adjusting but not sure were to begin

thanks in advance

Hello and welcome.

There's a rebuild guide for CV carbs at BassCliff's site:

You don't need rebuild kits, just new o-rings. The petcock may well be due for replacement. With no air filter it's probably going to be running very lean. You should try to find a new one (I understand that can be difficult with some 650s though).

There's a link to BassCliff's welcome from his site. Pay particular attention to the top 10 issues. Your bike is bound to need a lot of catch-up on maintenace: valve adjustment, carbs rebuilt, airbox sealed (and filter replaced), intake boot o-rings, brake calipers and masters rebuilt, etc.

Comment

Wait one minute! We need pictures of your bike.

Daniel

Comment

ill have to get some pics up tomorrow and thanks for the welcomes guys

and whats up with the first post being on the bottom of the page ? lol kinda confused me at first.

also this bike was a one owner bike well kinda, the man i bought it off of was the original owners son he never had the title changed to his name because he was trying to get it running after siting for some time ,but they just decided to sale. so my name is the 2nd on the title and the bike has like 40,000 miles on it not sure how bad that is for these motors?

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
          HI my name is william, and i just bought a 81 gs650l for 300 bucks and need some carb help, when i picked up this bike i was told that it ran but needed a petcock, because it would not stop flowing fuel (had locking pliers on the fuel line when i bought it.

the man i bought it off of said he cleaned the carbs but could never get it running right.

when i brought it home i seen it had no air filter but it would run if i held the throttle wide open when i let off and it dyes it will puke gas every were.
          Vicegrip for fuel shutoff- I like it! Since this bike has been sitting for a while and the PO had a go at trying to get it running-it will need therapy . Be suspicious and approach it eyes wide open. Before I'd enter the carb cleaning fun, I would do a compression test to get a basic feel on the engine at 40k miles. Best to do some reading at Basscliff's site before ripping stuff off. Typically, carb or charging system problems cause these bikes to be sidelined.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

40k should not be much of a problem if the bike has been pretty well taken care of.

There's a "User CP" link in the upper-left-hand corner on the screen - you can use that to adjust preferences like the order the posts show up in, how many show up on a page, etc. You could also do stuff like create a sig with your bike details (so we don't have to ask you if you forget) and include your location (in case there's a friendly GSR member nearby willing to lend a hand). Those are highly recommended. As are, as Daniel pointed out, pics!

Clearly you have at least a carb problem, and that is step 1. You need your fuel system to be CLEAN. "Carb cleaning" is not taking off the bowls and spraying with a can of carb cleaner - it's removing, disassembling, and dipping in solvent for 24 hours. Read through the guide at the link I sent you. These carbs have a lot of internal passages, and it takes a while for our solvents to dissolve all of the varnish that's probably clogging them up. You should ensure your tank is clean and free of rust, else your carbs are just going to get dirty again. Make sure your petcock is in good working order - there SHOULD NOT be fuel in the vacuum line running down to carb #2. If there is, your petcock is shot and should be replaced. When set to run, fuel should not flow unless vacuum is applied to said vacuum line. If it does, your petcock is shot and should be replaced. DO NOT leave your petcock set to PRIme. Success stories rebuilding petcocks are rare, but they do last a good 25 years so replace it and forget about it for a while.

Comment

used to have highway pegs but i took em off also had a custom hand made windshield.

custom tackle box holder was built by original owner but its staying

Comment

now to go get them carbs off, but ill be taking pics so i don't forget how everything goes

Comment

got em out,,not to bad kinda tight in there,,, ill tryn start the cleaning when i get home from school class in an hour here's some pics

Comment

got em out,,not to bad kinda tight in there,,, ill tryn start the cleaning when i get home from school class in an hour here's some pics
                    "kinda tight in there" ??? some would say ridiculous! Bike looks good; might have been sitting on kickstand outside a while- looks weathered on left side. Plug those carb boots asap, so no critters can take shelter.,
                    When you slow down, take a peek at Basscliff's site- lots of knowledge in one stop!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Carbs look to be in nice shape!

But I'm sure they still need to be cleaned out...
                      Unfortunately the fuel today contains a lot of Ethanol, and when it sits for weeks or months, the carbs get gummed up.
                      (so consider putting a little stabil or ethanol treatment in the tank on your next fill-up)

Comment

thanks guys i just got time to take a look at the bass cliff web sight very help info ,,, ill have to pick up some things to do the cleaning i have a can of carb cleaner, but i think i should get some chem-dip for the carbs before i tear them apart.

Also i was wanting to know if a universal o-ring kit if it has the right sizes in it will it work??? or what should i use?

Comment

Indeed, one of our members here sells an o-ring kit:

He sells O-rings for the intake boots as well as stainless allen screws to replace those nasty old philips:

"81-83 650's use 38mm O-rings and 16mm screws."

About all else you might need that you can't get from him are the pilot jet plugs and float bowl gaskets. Frequently those are reusable, but if not Z1 sells them.

Also i was wanting to know if a universal o-ring kit if it has the right sizes in it will it work??? or what should i use?

Comment

just ordered it

Comment

ok so i am in the process of cleaning my carbs have them disassembled ,and parts put in separate bins ,,,the problem i ran in to is all the secondary jets but one are broke and by, broke i mean the top were you would put a screw driver in is broke off. so i could only remove one is this ok to leave them in there and just soak them??

also how long should they be soaked, the one i have in there now has been in there for about 4 hours now.

Comment

Working...
                              X