No announcement yet.

new here and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch. Secondary jets - are you speaking of the pilot, main, or air jets? These were pre-broken for you? Pics?

The recommended soak time is ~24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      ok so i am in the process of cleaning my carbs have them disassembled ,and parts put in separate bins ,,,the problem i ran in to is all the secondary jets but one are broke and by, broke i mean the top were you would put a screw driver in is broke off. so i could only remove one is this ok to leave them in there and just soak them??

also how long should they be soaked, the one i have in there now has been in there for about 4 hours now.
      By secondary jet, you mean the pilot jet that lives in the tower next to main jet holder? Or the idle/air mixture screw that is on carb throat at engine side? No matter, they all got to come out or they will interfere with cleaning solution getting into those tiny passages.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Soak for 24 hours. But that jet really needs to be removed..
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

yeah next to the main under that plug and yes they were broke when i pulled the plug guess they were broke when the po did the cleaning ??

how can i get them out if they are broke. and i tried to take a pic but its two small to see in there

Comment

Left-hand drill bits.

Daniel

Comment

Those are your pilot jets. They're primarily responsible for fuel delivery at idle. Fortunately they aren't fed by any hidden passages. They're small and easily broken by using too loose a screwdriver, and not being patient (using penetrating oils and heat) if they fight. If the jets themselves are in OK shape you can probably leave them in, they should get clean in the soak and you can verify with light through the throttle body; and use a wire on a matchstick or similar to scrub around and make sure they're open. Your bike won't idle correctly if they're not clean, and the passage through the pilot jet is very small.

Mine came out OK. Others here probably have some tricks to remove them if they're broken (like left-handed drill bits). You might try a forum search for "broken pilot jets". Of course if you get them out, you'll have to replace them with good ones - good meaning OEM. The ones in the rebuild kits are not usually machined nearly as well as the OEM stuff.

Comment

OK i thank ill try to see if it will run after the cleaning ,, not to hard to get back too them if it wont run right. i am being cheap i am a poor college student and just want to get this thing running,,, and it i have to replace them i might as well jet it and get a good set of pods right?? lol may be a 4 into 1 but they cost more than i paid for the bike...

thanks for all the help and advice guys this is a very helpful site
                Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

OK i thank ill try to see if it will run after the cleaning ,, not to hard to get back too them if it wont run right. i am being cheap i am a poor college student and just want to get this thing running,,, and it i have to replace them i might as well jet it and get a good set of pods right?? lol may be a 4 into 1 but they cost more than i paid for the bike...

thanks for all the help and advice guys this is a very helpful site
                  Since you are contemplating future carb changes, just leave the pilot jets in for now and see what happens; pick up can of Gumout spray with tube, and blast everywhichway in pilot cavity, including down holes in carb throat. Wear safety goggles as Gumout stuff is wicked- I'm amazed the EPA still allows it, they must use it themselves!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

don't want to seem dumb here but i just got my o'rings that i ordered and i didn't know were the 4 tinny ones went so i looked on the cleaning guide agen and their for the air screw i think but i didn't take them out i guess i over looked that part of the cleaning guide and now i am not sure how to get them out, here's a pic of that i'm talking about ...

I thank this is were the air screw is supposed to be??? but have no idea how to get them out ...

Comment

Are you looking at Mr. Nessism's cleaning guide?

There's a whole section in there about removing the plug and pulling out the screw. Really, you need to follow the doc step-by-step. Pages 12-16 discuss the plug removal.

Comment

this is were i was looking .... thank you for your help

Comment

I agree with Tom, if you just need to get it running fast, spray each hole vigorously with carb spray. It's the redneck way to do it, but it usually works, provided the carbs aren't too bad or corroded.

Comment

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...ing_Series.pdf

this is were i was looking .... thank you for your help
                            After getting those EPA blocking plugs out, you should really reclean ( as in soak ) carbs to clean out the passages that were covered, cuz this is a critical area- a blockage here will give erratic idle/low speed effects. The fact that the plugs are still in makes it likely that nobody has had a serious go at cleaning the carbs despite the mangled pilot jet. It's worthwhile to review Nessism's guide-it's long because it's detailed!
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Yes those round plugs in your last picture need to be removed. There is a mixture adjustment screw in there that also needs to be removed as there's where the tiny orings go. Be mindful not to lose the little washer and spring that are also in each one.

In regards to pod filters and a 4-1 pipe. These modifications will require jetting changes, namely a DynoJet kit (bout $120 on top of what you pay for pods and a pipe) and the bike will absolutely run like hell if you don't do these jetting changes. My advice to you would be to get it running right wih the stock components before attempting a modification of any sort so you know what it's supposed to run like.

Comment

thanks guys plugs have been removed and air screw removed cleaned and new o-rings put on them when i took them out i counted the turns and they were 1 1/2 turns from seated ,,, the guide says 2 1/2 turns out to start with should i go back to 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 turns out ?? i set them at 2 1/2 because that's what the guide said but just thought i would ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X