new here and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by william View Post
    thanks guys plugs have been removed and air screw removed cleaned and new o-rings put on them when i took them out i counted the turns and they were 1 1/2 turns from seated ,,, the guide says 2 1/2 turns out to start with should i go back to 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 turns out ?? i set them at 2 1/2 because that's what the guide said but just thought i would ask.
    These carbs were set up notoriously lean from the factory (or I suppose the assembly warehouse stateside) to comply with EPA regs of the day. As such 2.5 turns out will help richen up the pilot circuit and make for better response and quicker warm up times. It's also a good starting point to get the bike going and once warmed up, you'll use the idle speed knob to drop the idle to around 800rpm and then slowly adjust the screws one at a time, and listen for the idle to rise. When the idle rises to a point and opening the screw makes no change, back the screw back in an 1/8 turn and leave it. Reset the idle speed to 800rpm and move to the next carb and so on. When you do this, you need to adjust them a 1/4 turn at a time and wait a couple seconds before making another adjustment to allow the motor to catch up. This is called setting the mix screws with the "highest idle" method.

Comment

thanks cafe kid this helps a lot

Comment

so after getting my carbs done i found out that i had the wrong o-rings for the intake i decided to do some improvements on the front end wile i weight fro the other o-rings to come in.... i repainted the black,, and painted the back of the head light black that was pretty pitted up,,, and also removed the paint around the gages for a brushed look what do you all think??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          These carbs were set up notoriously lean from the factory (or I suppose the assembly warehouse stateside) to comply with EPA regs of the day. As such 2.5 turns out will help richen up the pilot circuit and make for better response and quicker warm up times. It's also a good starting point to get the bike going and once warmed up, you'll use the idle speed knob to drop the idle to around 800rpm and then slowly adjust the screws one at a time, and listen for the idle to rise. When the idle rises to a point and opening the screw makes no change, back the screw back in an 1/8 turn and leave it. Reset the idle speed to 800rpm and move to the next carb and so on. When you do this, you need to adjust them a 1/4 turn at a time and wait a couple seconds before making another adjustment to allow the motor to catch up. This is called setting the mix screws with the "highest idle" method.
          Hey CafeKid -

When you say 2.5 turns out, are you talking about the Pilot Air Screw or the Pilot Fuel Screw? Also - when you say it will run like hell without a Dynojet kit, if I'm only doing pods (and not K&N pods, just cheapo pods). Do you think I can get away with just backing out the Jet Needle pretty far? I guess even if I can adjust the Needle jet that only affects up to 3/4 throttle, and I would need to do something about the main jets.

Thanks in advance...
          Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2012, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X