still sucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still sucking

fighting this for months.Replaced intakes w/o-rings,and rebilt/replaced carbs.set screws/floats/all Ok.run the bike to warm up/wont settle down/spray carb cleaner to find leak//Now it's around #3.cant seem to get all tight at some time/any suggestions//any product to assist /very limited funds///gotta ride to get work///thank you GS nation

Other than carb internals, the only vacuum leaks you have to deal with are;

1) intake o-rings (make sure you clean all mating sufaces-head to intake
    and inspect intake for separation,also make sure the
    o-ring stayed in place when securing to head)
    2) Vacuum ports for sync and petcock. (replace old vac lines,tighten screws)

3) Intake to carb mating (clamps wear out-stretch and don't seal, but new)

All cheap if done right the first time, don't look for a qwik fix of rtv, doesn't work and will lead to more frustration.

Comment

If it is leaking where the intake manifold meets the head,
      have you tried milling (filing) the surface of the intake flat and installing a new O-ring?
      Clean surface on the head?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        If it is leaking where the intake manifold meets the head,
        have you tried milling (filing) the surface of the intake flat and installing a new O-ring?
        Clean surface on the head?

Daniel
        I use a roloc as it does a fine job without too much removal of material, shouldn't take more than sandpaper as the o-ring should conform to the CLEAN surface, he said he replaced the o-rings, but they can pop out of their retaining ring in the intake if not careful before snugging them up.

Comment

Originally posted by 1azralph View Post
          fighting this for months.Replaced intakes w/o-rings,and rebilt/replaced carbs.set screws/floats/all Ok.run the bike to warm up/wont settle down/spray carb cleaner to find leak//Now it's around #3.cant seem to get all tight at some time/any suggestions//any product to assist /very limited funds///gotta ride to get work///thank you GS nation
          I give up! what year, model bike are you being messed with?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

1981 gs 1000g

new o-rings on manifolds to head,clamps new,o-rings in connecting tubes,it.s like it sucks air right at the carb to manifold /has the cv,or diaphram style,wondering if it would be better to change to the other style? thx again gs nation

Comment

Sounds like you covered the normal bases, what shape are the manifolds themselves in, its possible the rubber is separating away from the steel mounting, might just need new intakes, but before you throw money at it, be sure of exactly where your leaking, pull the tank, use a temporary tank to see down in there properly when spraying

Comment

Originally posted by 1azralph View Post
                new o-rings on manifolds to head,clamps new,o-rings in connecting tubes,it.s like it sucks air right at the carb to manifold /has the cv,or diaphram style,wondering if it would be better to change to the other style? thx again gs nation
                How does this bike start from cold? easy? when you did carbs, did you bench sync them with throttle plates just about fully and equally closed ?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The shafts do have o-rings yes?
                  If so these could be the culprit.

Comment

If he's replaced the boot orings and it's still showing leaks around the manifold area I'm gonna bet his boots are cracked/separating from the steel flange and sucking air there. And it's amazing how quickly they can go from "useable" to "utter garbage".
                    On one of my GS1000Gs the boots looked...ok...useable until the new ones showed up anyway. I replaced the orings and such and one night soon after getting her up and running Rose and I decided to ride her out for a bite to eat. All was well getting there, but when we went to leave, she didn't want to idle, throttle response was terrible and it was making this horrid sucking sound. Turned out three of the four boots had decided to pull up the curtain and join the choir invisible at the same time. I managed to limp it home, and when I got there and she cooled off a bit I pulled them and they nearly crumbled to dust in my hands.

She'd sat a long time, and while those boots looked ok at first, I think a few heat cycles was all it took to kick em off.

Look for cracks, especially around the inside of the metal flange..if its cracked though, it'll suck air there..

Comment

I have one bad intake for sure, anybody have a affordable source for these, mines a 821100L

Comment

gs 1000 sucking air

thank you all again//well it looks like another trip to the junk yard.wish me luck//mainly to see if i can find any,it's getting harder and harder to find anything for my gs 1000 that may be useable:THE CAFE KID,any other ideas,I've been told by afew people having a machine shop making a solid manifold from a piece of billit and then connecting carbs with rubber flanges//is this costly?Does it work?
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 03:18 AM. Reason: un finished

Comment

tom 203//yes to your response//did what the web site and book said to do

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                            I have one bad intake for sure, anybody have a affordable source for these, mines a 821100L

Comment

Thanks Dan, already ordered from them, 4 new ones on the 6th, they haven't shipped them yet, but I wasn't going to order just one and regret it later, I think a second one is starting to pull away, so I have 2 spares, one left and right. I'm at the point of test starting this thing and thats the only hold up at the moment.

1azralph, I'm thinking these suckers can look better than they really are after 30 some years, I believe there must be micro fiscers between the metal plate and where the rubber is suppose to be bonded. I thought about what you were suggesting about making a manifold, but I was also thinking I'd take my old ones and experiment, by removing all the old rubber, weld a short ring, and add a short all rubber intake. More work than its worth, but sometimes the mother of necessity and the lack of $$ comes into play....plus it would be just fun to try some day. Good luck with you search.

Comment

Working...
                              X