First ride problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride problems

okay so yesterday was kinda nice enough to take the bike out but i starteed having problems. In the middle of the ride the bike stalled, i thought the clutch cable might need placing so no big deal. Then it wouldnt start. So here is what i did maybe some vets can help me i am a noob

Over the winter i been working on the bike so i need gas so i went to the gas startion with a 1 gallon gas tank filled the bike up started it and let it run for a bit no problem. I went around the blocks for a bit then it stalled. It took a minute but it finally started again.. went for about ten minutes stalled again.. took a little longer but finnaly started. Then about 15 minutes later done. but after sitting for few minutes started no problem

the engine just seems like it wont stay above stalling level

I has a similar problem last fall. Battery was too week to keep it going. I charged the battery overnight and it ran fine. Good luck.
    PS I plan on replacing my battery this spring.

Comment

Along with having a decently charged battery, fuel has to make it to carbs consistently. Check that petcock is working as designed- I check mine first time out, in case it didn't like winter.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yeah im gonna do the whole fuel system

Comment

Soooooo, you've cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, adjusted your valve clearances, sealed any intake leaks at the airbox and carb boots, and checked your petcock for proper function and are still having issues?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Soooooo, you've cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, adjusted your valve clearances, sealed any intake leaks at the airbox and carb boots, and checked your petcock for proper function and are still having issues?
            Are you insinuating that the poster has hit all the listed Newbie mistakes?

I would suggest that you're running out of gas. Are you on Reserve?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              +1, simplify.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench in here because I am in a mood.
                I suspect an electric/electronic heat issue. The first thing I would examine is the igniter. I think one of the power transistors is overheating. It will be fine when cool, but when it gets at a certain temp, OOPS.
                I reserve the right to be incorrect, but I have seen this before.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench in here because I am in a mood.
                  I suspect an electric/electronic heat issue. The first thing I would examine is the igniter. I think one of the power transistors is overheating. It will be fine when cool, but when it gets at a certain temp, OOPS
                  No way, not on first brief ride- that comes later after the carb cleaning ordeal is over and he's confident enough for along ride to Saranac Lake.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

no i havent gone threw the whole thing yet. I was hoping to start the season but guess not I am going to check the igniter because threw the winter i was tinkering with it and ran it a couple of times and it would ideal fine for a decent amount of time. This is the first ride and frist problem. But since I have to take the gas tank off to look at the carbs I am going to re-do everything, Spark plugs, gas lines, Air filter and box and re build the carbs and hope that it works. ( not that it would hurt anyway ) then gonna do a sync with my new tool and fire up. Gotta love projects but gotta love my friend Shaggy for being supportive about breaking down. He was just like I am opps back to the draiwing board.

I dont wanna try and add more trouble but if I may inquire a new question..

I have never seen a gas tank mounted behind the seat, is it possible and what could be some potential problems?

Might sound like a dumb idea and it probally is but I wanna have a mess bike like me so that people are like WTF is that . please be gentle on critizing remember first bike and lots of dreams

Comment

I'm with Kool_Aid on this one.

Electrical is Much easier to check. The worst thing you can do, is to start ripping mechanical **** apart and merely "guessing" the problem! lol

Check your running voltage first, within spec or no?
                      Also test the Coils and Caps.

I had an overheating/stalling problem, and it turned out to be a fried Stator, R/R, caps and wires were junk as well.

Comment

Here's an idea - carry around a couple extra plugs with you and check for spark the next time it stalls. Also, have you tried opening the gas cap? Sometimes the vents get clogged and a vacuum builds, preventing fuel from flowing properly to the carbs.

My ignitor would overheat and go out after a while. It would be very sudden: no warning or slowing down, just complete loss of power. Pull over and wait a few minutes and ride again. If you're slowly running down on power it's more likely to me to be a fuel issue. You'll start running leaner as the bowls empty.

Comment

well i deff try the electrical first then yeah it would stall after a descent ride when i stop the rpms would progressively decline till a stall and then would have trouble starting, till finally it wouldnt start at all. but after a few moments it started again. So i am thinking maybe you are correct about the over heating. Hopefully Its something simple and can get it fixed before bike season really gets going. I need to start to learn to ride more/ get more conformable

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                            Here's an idea - carry around a couple extra plugs with you and check for spark the next time it stalls. Also, have you tried opening the gas cap? Sometimes the vents get clogged and a vacuum builds, preventing fuel from flowing properly to the carbs.

My ignitor would overheat and go out after a while. It would be very sudden: no warning or slowing down, just complete loss of power. Pull over and wait a few minutes and ride again. If you're slowly running down on power it's more likely to me to be a fuel issue. You'll start running leaner as the bowls empty.
                            When you mean power you mean the engine being on or electrical?

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              Are you insinuating that the poster has hit all the listed Newbie mistakes?

no i have gas i tried with res and prim both with the same effect also tried to add choke and nothing. after that point the bike just wouldnt go it would crank.

Also i had no seat and felt a click against my right leg so maybe it is something with the eletrical. I am hoping to redo it slowly in the next year. Once i get aquanted with this iron horse and finish tamming her.

Comment

Working...
                              X