Damaged Pilot Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged Pilot Screw

Does anyone know where to get replacements for these? Does it look broken, or just warped at the tip, is it possible I could get away with filing off the warped part and still use the screw, and turn it in a little bit more than factory?

I would hate to have to buy a full carb kit for one lousy part. Looks like the previous owner warped this and then pulled it out further than normal in order for gas to still flow (it was 2.75 turns out).

There is this, but I'd hate to buy the rebuild kit for a single part.

Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM.

Its sheared off from over tighteening at the bottom of the hole...be sure the other end isnt in there before you do anything with that particular carb.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Its sheared off from over tighteening at the bottom of the hole...be sure the other end isnt in there before you do anything with that particular carb.
      What is the best way to see? I looked and couldn't see anything, sprayed some carb cleaner through, tried kind of shaking the carb to get anything possibly stuck in there out... it's hard to see what's going on in there.

Am I correct to say that there are VM29 and VM33 smoothbore carbs, but what I have is Mikuni VM OEM carbs? Is there a good way to find the Mikuni Part No. for this screw?

Comment

look down the hole with a bright flashlight and see if theres any brassy looking metal, take your finger and run it into the carb throat from the back and feel for the tip sticking in, blow thru it with your mouth to see if air is infact passing thru,put a small christmas bulb in the throat and look down the hole to see if you can see a pinpoint of light...get creative.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Check out this thread for Ideas on removal: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=fuel+screw

PDF file for removing these buggered tips: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ew_removal.pdf

check and see if the other screws are damaged.

I might be able to help you out with one or two.

Nic
          Last edited by niclpnut; 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM.
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
            Check out this thread for Ideas on removal: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=fuel+screw

PDF file for removing these buggered tips: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ew_removal.pdf

check and see if the other screws are damaged.

I might be able to help you out with one or two.

Nic
            Thanks Nic - I was coming back here to post that I found the Bikecliff tutorial and emailed motorcyclecarbs to see if they could sell me just the screws. Once I get the other carbs apart and see if the others are the same, I'll let you know if motorcyclecarbs will sell them to me and if not maybe i can get a few from you.

Comment

see the link in post 10

Comment

Yeah, okay, so I opened up the other carbs. 3 of them are broken off into it, there is one good carb. Any chance you have 3 screws Nic?

It's really frustrating, I already bought gasket material from the 'bay. If I have to buy 3 carb kits for these silly screws that will have been a total waste of money. Hopefully I can find a place that sells them separate. I mean, even if I hadn't already bought the gaskets it still sucks ha ha.

Comment

Many Mnay Many members have attempted to get "just the screws" and sorry to say this, but youre most likely in for 3 kits unless someone has some donor carbs here.

Comment

Many Mnay Many members have attempted to get "just the screws" and sorry to say this, but youre most likely in for 3 kits unless someone has some donor carbs here.
                    I'm going to *try* and prove you wrong ... just bought one screw from ebay, 9 bucks shipped, in good condition.

If Nic has 2 for me, then I'm set!

Comment

I was implying from a commercial vendor...they usually dont or wont split up a kit and dont usually carry seperate needles either.

Comment

I was implying from a commercial vendor...they usually dont or wont split up a kit and dont usually carry seperate needles either.
                        Oh, okay! Thanks Chuck. Guess that's how those companies make their money!

Found another one on the bay, for a '78 GS550, but from the Carb Specs page on BikeCliff they should be the same. One to go.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Yup..sell you 20 bucks worth of crap thats worthless so you can get a 5 dollar needle...

Comment

I got most of them out- one question.

On one of the carbs, I couldn't get it out with the normal dental pick and had to use a similar pick from harbor freight. I noticed that the hole one this carb is *slightly* larger than the other ones. Is this going to pose a huge issue? I saw some people were drilling these holes out so I would imagine they did way more damage than I did.

it's not much larger really, I would imagine it's possible this was done by someone before me. Either way, I guess it's probably way better that the broken screw is out in the first place, better it get some fuel than nothing at all.

Advice? I guess I might as well just go ahead and get the carbs reassembled, there's not much I could do anyways other than replacing the carb body (expensive!!!)

Comment

I had one hole that was a bit larger than the others, and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X