Carbs spitting fuel after rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs spitting fuel after rebuild?

Have a question to why my carbs would be spitting fuel from the Air jet on the air box side of the carbs? The carbs were just fully rebuilt (pulled apart and dipped for 24hrs per the rebulid manuel). All new o-rings, new intake boots and o-rings.

Little history on the bike. Got it last year for free from a guy I worked with. The bike had been sitting for about 5yrs in doors. Put new battery and fresh gas in it and got it fired up and running but never real well. the low RPMs were always alittle tricky. Finally got time to pull and rebuild them the last couple of weeks.
    When I put them back on the bike started right up and ran better then I have ever heard it run. Put the airbox back on did some minor adjusting and took it for a ride to buddies house. Got there and parked it and noticed fuel leaking out of the airbox. Pulled the airbox off and started it and noticed it spitting fuel from the airjets. What would cause this? Its only on carbs 1&2.

Thanks
    Lance

Mu guess would be float heigths or bad float needle/seats not seating with each other properly. Rubber tipped needles?? Check for groves worn in the rubber tips if so.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Could be the floats didn't have a caliper to set them with and wasn't really having this issue before. The foat needles didn't have rubber tips on them and they looked good. Bike only has about 15k-20k on it.

Comment

Got a buddy with a set or a harbor freight close by?? about 20.00 for a decent set..good enough for carb work anyways. And be sure to set both floats in each carb...
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah have a buddy how has all the correct tools to do all the adjustments and sync on the carbs. but his a coulpe hours away and well be taking it up to him this weekend and having him look them over and do the sync for me...

Thanks for help and kind of verify what my thoughts were on it. Been reading thought the site the couple of months and you guys are very helpful...

Comment

It good to have that "been there and done that " perspectives.

Comment

Yeah it is. Not real good on carbs. been awhile since I've played with them and then it was automotive ones which are a little different. Thank for your input Chuck

Comment

Mine did the same thing after my rebuild. No's 1 and 2 puking gas into the airbox. I pulled the carbs and the floats were about 2mm too high. Not much but enuff to cause the problem. I reset them all and now all is good. You cannot eyeball them and think it's close enuff.

Comment

Ok an update on my issue.
                  I had the float height set and got the bike back last friday. Took it for a ride on saturday. Rode about 50-75 miles mostly interstate and highway. Get to the first stop and was noticing some cutting in and out about the last 5 miles. Stop and notice gas puoring out of the air box again. Just talk with the guy the has it and seems like the needle and seat for the #1&2 are bad.

Comment

check the float level wet, before you remove the carbs.
                    check again wet before you reinstall the carbs.
                    If the needles are steel and the seats are brass, you can "re-seat" them with a very small hammer or reasonable facsimile.
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Floats have all been been checked and double checked and then checked again. The bike is at a shop where an old school metric going is going over them and found the needle and seats in #1 & 2 are bad. So have them on order.

Comment

Check the spark plug boots.
                        If you don't have a consistent spark it will push fuel out of the cylinder back into the air box.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If this doesn't work that well be my next step. I trust what this guys is saying. The first time around the float levels were off. It took it a while longer to show up this time. he had it do it on him when he rode after it got back to him. It was running great before it started leaking fuel out the airbox.

Comment

Just an update on my issue. Got my bike back this past weekend after having the #1&2 float needles and seats replaced. She is running better then she ever has. Put a few miles on her the last couple of days and no more leaking. Now its just on to replace the annoy factory bars...

Thanks for all your guys help.

Comment

Working...
                            X