Naughty GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naughty GS

Can anyone help,got a 79 gs 1000 will only run on three pots ive had the carbs off and blew them out with compressed air,checked the jets and everything seems fine but still a luke warm downpipe? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. P.S it does have spark.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM. Reason: p.s

it could be a number of things... most likely a carb issue though. did you fully tear down, dip, and rebuild the carbs? if not, i would do that before you try anything else. the jets could look fine but there are many TINY passages inside of a carb body and there could be buildup or a clog somewhere.

also, what does the spark plug look like? is it wet with gas?

Comment

Is it the #3 carb?

Bad petcock

Did this ever run well before?

Not enough carb cleaning
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

+10 Buste3d knuckles..half measures avail us nothing as the saying goes...except the chance to redo it.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi ,i didnt do a full strip and dip ,i guess thats the next step and as for the plug it looks as if the motor is running rich, And yes it is #3 why do you ask?

Comment

I got this bike in boxes so i dont know how it ran before .Also i didnt get the original gas tank with it so im using a cx500 tank could this have anything to do with the fuel delivery??????????????

Comment

Originally posted by baz View Post
              And yes it is #3 why do you ask?
              He answered it for you when he asked you the question.
              Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Is it the #3 carb?

Bad petcock
              Especially since you are running rich on that cylinder. The most-likely cause is a hole in the petcock diaphragm.

You can take your chance with a petcock rebuild kit, but the success rate is around 15-20% on those.

Most will spare themselves the aggravation and double expense, and just go straight to a new petcock.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Im more inclined to think you need to remove the pilot jet # 3 carb , clean it out with guitar string that fits, clean the passage it goes into and clean the air hole & jet if there is one in the airbox side of the carb to the airjet. I had a blocked internal passage on my GS1100 that drone me nuts, I had the carbs off & on 6 times. I finally sawed a spaer one in half to find out the air hole was a blind passage and had to be cleaned from both ends. With no air getting there no fuel could flow. But this is just my opinion, others may vary

Comment

Working...
                X