Why I hate to loan tools...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I hate to loan tools...

I love my Morgan carb tune, and have used it quite a bit on my bikes and have helped other local riders here in KC to sync their carbs.

A friend of mine asked to borrow it to sync his carbs over the weekend. Usually, I have them come over to my house and I help do it there.

I work with this guy though, so I know where I can find him

Got it back today and was shocked to see that 3 of the plastic tubes have hairline cracks running though them and 2 of the tubes have separation on the bottom.

I asked him what the hell happened, and he told me that it seemed like the slides were sticking so he shot some "cleaner" down the tubes to loosen them up...

Not sure what he used (couldn't really ask him at the time cause I was hot), but looks like it has eaten into the plastic of the tubes.

Anywho, a mistake is a mistake, but lesson learned on not loaning out the tools.

Anyone know if Morgan offers replacement parts? OR if I can find some clear plastic tubing at a hardware store as replacements?

Thanks,

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

not a very nice friend.....

I know if and when I lend out tools, and or borrow tools, my one and only rule is...

you break it you bought it..........

if you break my tool you get to keep it and you buy me a new one, if I break your tool I keep it and buy you a new one.....

I borrowed a friends set of dremel bits, I broke one, I kept the whole set and purchased him a new set

friendships last longer that way.....

hope your friend does the same for you or something similar to make up for the tool damage.....

Comment

I break I cry, you break you buy.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

If I ever borrow a friends tools I treat them better than my own. And I try to treat my own as if they were gold. I also believe in the break it, make it right rules.
        1978 GS550 E
        673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
        New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
        for playing in the dirt

Comment

Boy, that sux... I'm sure he offered to replace it though .

I remember when I bought mine, I spoke directly with the guy at Morgan in the UK - seemed like a one-man operation & he was a super nice guy.

I'd give him a call & relate your tale-o-woe & see if perhaps he might offer to refurbish your carbtune for little more than round trip shipping. You never know, worth a try.

However, on a similar note I too am loathe to lend my tools out as well; seems even the people you know & trust can not be counted on to return things...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Balancing carbs its pretty certain that he shot carb cleaner in the tubes.
            Regardless he should be replacing what he broke.

Comment

Sounds like brake clean.
              It will eat up acrylic quickly. Leaves it very cloudy and rough to the touch.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear that. Like the others say he should offer to make it good for you, no question.

Like some of the guys I do not lend my tools to anyone, even family, especially my son (clothes too in his case) as often they disappear never to return. My best bud since 1965 is the only one whom I trust. He is like the big brother I never had and we have the same rule as Gatekeeper. We modified a bit too and often buy "gifts of tools" for each other for Christmas and birthdays (My birthday tool this year was a bottle of Glennfiddich ) Usually its a tool we want to borrow ( or in this case drink).

Well I hope he makes it right for you and next time if he wants carbs done tell him to bring the bike over.

Good luck.
                Spyug

Comment

Just check with Z1 the have the adapters. The plastic one's that come with the carb tune are cheap plastic and should be replaced anyway !!!

Comment

I think he's talking about the plastic tubes that the steel sliders reside within. They're matched sets and yes, sensitive. I remember seeing instructions somewhere on what to do if they need to be cleaned:

Not much good now, though.

While it's a bummer, and hope your friend will make it right, generosity and forgiveness can be rewarding as well...

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Just check with Z1 the have the adapters. The plastic one's that come with the carb tune are cheap plastic and should be replaced anyway !!!

Comment

Yeah they are the plastic tubes that hold the slides, not the adapters.

For as much as I used it, the tool has definitely paid for itself. Probably the best $100 for a tool I've spent.

I know the cat doesn't have cash laying around, but since he works at my restaurant, I can arrange some other forms of payment

Oh so many things that can always use a good deep clean scrubbing in a restaurant kitchen

Nic
                      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

on the other hand, I have rarely borrowed tools from ANYONE, and the few times I have have borrowed something and returned it, ended up not too pleasant,,,,,

I like to treat stuff nice, and if it is damaged or dirty then if I can, I repair things.

One mate went off at me for fixing his drill (the brushes were rooted) and it ended up in a punch on, so now I never EVER borrow tools (not that I really need to now) and I NEVER loan tools, not even the cheap throw away tools, because I became frustrated with feeling like I was HELPING people, only to find they were dirty liars and usually did not TELL me that they broke it, and most times it was obvious they would have known (heard it break etc)

Now, if ANYONE wants to borrow something, they can come to my place or I can come to theirs, and I use MY tools, and that is it! If they dont want that then they can go buy their own or borrow somewhere else!
                        Regards,
                        Andy
                        Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
                        GS750B (1977)
                        Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Well, it's one way to know who your real friends are.

Comment

Ammonia, which is found in most glass cleaners will cause plexiglass to craze ( small hairline cracks ) . Best to use a plastic cleaner or polish.

Comment

The only tool I don't like lending out, is my welder.
                              Because without it, I can't repair the other broken tools people return to me!
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X