going to the pros on the 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going to the pros on the 850

I have rebuilt and rejetted the carbs, new fuel lines and new petcock. The valves are right according to the book, compression is good. The coils are producing spark and I still can't get any power. I am running lean. The bike just runs out of fuel at around 3500 rpms, I can get a little more power by pulling the choke but not much. My xs11 was a lot easier to get right on the fuel mix. Anybody got any ideas, I am almost ready to take it to the shop

Originally posted by Blastr2783 View Post
    I have rebuilt and rejetted the carbs, new fuel lines and new petcock. The valves are right according to the book, compression is good. The coils are producing spark and I still can't get any power. I am running lean. The bike just runs out of fuel at around 3500 rpms, I can get a little more power by pulling the choke but not much. My xs11 was a lot easier to get right on the fuel mix. Anybody got any ideas, I am almost ready to take it to the shop
    What are you using for an air box? How about the exhaust? What size jets did you put in?
    Last edited by tkent02; 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Float bowl levels?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        What are you using for an air box? How about the exhaust?
        The box was melted so I went with pods, hence the rejet. And the exhaust seems to be flowing freely. At idle and when it is not under a load the bike revs freely up to about 5000 rpms, then develops a lean profile. once I put it in gear its runs out of fuel around 3500rpms. It just ain't getting enough gas. I have even put an oversized fuel line sans filter to attempt to send more gas to the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
          Float bowl levels?
          How would I go about checking those with the bike under power?

Comment

Maybe you need bigger jets, maybe you need to raise the needles or use a better profile needle... probably some of both. How much bigger than stock main jets did you use?
            It takes a lot of testing and a lot of thinking to get it right. Especially if you used those cheep ass Emgo pods.

Comment

Originally posted by Blastr2783 View Post
              How would I go about checking those with the bike under power?
              It's in the service manual.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Maybe you need bigger jets, maybe you need to raise the needles or use a better profile needle... probably some of both. How much bigger than stock main jets did you use?
                It takes a lot of testing and a lot of thinking to get it right. Especially if you used those cheep ass Emgo pods.
                Stage 3 dynojet kit. and emgo pods. I may go ahead and order some k&n's also. It is terrible, ridculously lean. Never had this much trouble getting a fuel mix right.

Comment

With pods and STOCK exhaust, try 120 or 122.5 mains and adjust the fuel screws.
                  That should get you much closer.
                  My '80 850, at 4,500 feet and up, just needed 117.5's to be happy.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    With pods and STOCK exhaust, try 120 or 122.5 mains and adjust the fuel screws.
                    That should get you much closer.
                    My '80 850, at 4,500 feet and up, just needed 117.5's to be happy.

Daniel
                    I will try 120's and see if that gets me closer. It has to something minor every thing else is tight and right.

Comment

Working...
                    X