Gas in te a$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in te a$$

OKay I mentioned this in a previous post but wanted to make a thread.. so here goes

I wanted to put the gas tank on the back of the bike where the sissy bar was

what are some dangers or things I should consider when thinking of this nut job idea?

Don't ride up a hill.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by maddoggmike View Post
      OKay I mentioned this in a previous post but wanted to make a thread.. so here goes

what are some dangers or things I should consider when thinking of this nut job idea?
      Other than being hideous?

Comment

Whats the full idea behind this ? extra capacity?
        1978 GS550 E
        673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
        New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
        for playing in the dirt

Comment

of course you know that without a catheter you may as well stop for gas and take a leak.

Comment

Originally posted by maddoggmike View Post

A few things come to mind:
            1. If it is your only source of fuel, your range will be severly limited due to less capacity.
            2. Even with the limited capacity, the center of gravity will be affected rather negatively. You will be moving weight up and rearward. Not only that, you will be putting it behind the rear axle, which also removes weight from the front.
            3. If you are ever involved in an incident where you and the bike part company at speed, the back of the bike is the second-most likely area to be damaged (right after the front end). There is NOTHING there to protect the tank or any tubing that leads from it to the engine. In the stock location, it is basically only vulnerable from above or the sides, but it has the handlebars to stop the bike from landing directly on the tank.
            4. By raising the tank and increasing the vertical displacement between the tank and the carbs, you will be increasing the fuel pressure at the carbs. If your float valves are the least bit 'out of shape', you will know it rather quickly.

Many other points, I am sure, but these should be enough to make you think twice about it.

By the way, what is the meaning of "A (dollar sign) (dollar sign)".
            It is rather suprising, but one of the words that our resident nanny filter does NOT filter out is ASS.
            If you mean it, say it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              A few things come to mind:
              1. If it is your only source of fuel, your range will be severly limited due to less capacity.
              2. Even with the limited capacity, the center of gravity will be affected rather negatively. You will be moving weight up and rearward. Not only that, you will be putting it behind the rear axle, which also removes weight from the front.
              3. If you are ever involved in an incident where you and the bike part company at speed, the back of the bike is the second-most likely area to be damaged (right after the front end). There is NOTHING there to protect the tank or any tubing that leads from it to the engine. In the stock location, it is basically only vulnerable from above or the sides, but it has the handlebars to stop the bike from landing directly on the tank.
              4. By raising the tank and increasing the vertical displacement between the tank and the carbs, you will be increasing the fuel pressure at the carbs. If your float valves are the least bit 'out of shape', you will know it rather quickly.

Many other points, I am sure, but these should be enough to make you think twice about it.

It is rather suprising, but one of the words that our resident nanny filter does NOT filter out is ASS.
              If you mean it, say it.

Yes i know it will be ugly thats the point my bike

as of right now yeah it was gonna be a round town mod i was gonna keep the option of having the regualar gas tank

Comment

Ass is not a bad word; it's just a donkey.

I guess it could also be Angle-Side-Side, but that's not necessarily deterministic for building a triangle (ah, math humor...).

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If you mean it, say it.

Comment

Working...
                X