Breather hose after pods are installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather hose after pods are installed?

I have removed the air box and have pods to go on the carbs, what do I do with the breather hose from the top of the cam cover, I'm sure blocking it off is NOT the answer...or is it???
    Any help and advice always welcome

Cheers

RB

No blocking it off is not the answer
    That's your crank case vent. You can either just take the hose off, or, leave it on and stick a little filter on the end of it. Or better still, run a longer piece to a little catch can of some design (that part you'll have to come up with on your own) under the seat where the airbox used to be or something of the like. If you have much blow-by it'll eventually make an oily mess all over the top of your carbs/cases if you pull the line off or leave the line open. It might take a while, or it might not depending on how much blow by you have going on.
    Whatever it is you do, just make sure you don't seal it off to the point it can't "breathe".

Comment

Cheers 'TheCafeKid'...I'm sure I can come up with something novel for a container

RB

Comment

I just run the line down the back next to the battery vent line to just under the swing arm.
        No drips and no filter. Have been running them like that for over 30 years with no problems.

Daniel

Comment

or run it down to where your chain goes into the sprocket cover and anchor it there with a cable tie. This way any oil blow by lands on the chain. Had this set up for ages works a treat paricularly on a slightly worn engine ...mines freshly rebuilt so i only get the occasional drip.

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
            or run it down to where your chain goes into the sprocket cover and anchor it there with a cable tie. This way any oil blow by lands on the chain. Had this set up for ages works a treat paricularly on a slightly worn engine ...mines freshly rebuilt so i only get the occasional drip.
            Very clever - I like it.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I know you weren't asking about this, but....

There should also be a "breather line" off your carbs. Normally, this runs back to your airbox inlet. This line equalizes the pressure between the air inlet and the air that sits above the fuel in your float bowl, providing the correct air pressure on the fuel for the jets to work properly.

Usually when you install pods, the "air inlets" (the pods) are in a low-pressure area behind the engine, plus, it is a very turbulent area. The best thing to do with that "vent" line from the carbs is to run it back up under the seat in a way that the line isn't actually pinched in any way.

Comment

cheers for that 'Ajay', I would have ended up asking about that later...and 'saffa' I love your idea, this I will do for myself

RB

Comment

Hey Ajay - My bike is an '82 GS1100G. I have two hoses that come off the carbs - between 1+2 and 3+4. They route over the top of the airbox and down behind it. Are these the lines you mean?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                    Hey Ajay - My bike is an '82 GS1100G. I have two hoses that come off the carbs - between 1+2 and 3+4. They route over the top of the airbox and down behind it. Are these the lines you mean?

Thanks!
                    Yes, those be the ones!

Mine come together in a T and only one line comes back, but I remember my old 550 had two lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay View Post
                      Yes, those be the ones!

Mine come together in a T and only one line comes back, but I remember my old 550 had two lines.
                      Eliminate the "T" and make them two separate lines to down where the battery breather exits.
                      There is a reason for two lines. One might actually restrict the venting ability.
                      Cheap insurance to run two hoses.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        Eliminate the "T" and make them two separate lines to down where the battery breather exits.
                        There is a reason for two lines. One might actually restrict the venting ability.
                        Cheap insurance to run two hoses.

Daniel
                        Yeah, maybe, dunno. It was like that when I got the bike. Those lines really don't flow any air, they just let the pressure normallize and since the fuel level changes are probably millimeters at most and the areas of the float bowls so small....

But I might go to two lines anyway, mostly because I don't like the way the T brings the lines together and makes them rub on the pods.

Comment

Working...
                        X