airbox on= no run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Octain View Post
    I dont know but new plugs will eliminate any question of them being bad.
    Honestly, I dont think the carbs are clean or the air box or something isn't properly sealed.
    then cliffs site isnt right...i did everything the exact same way

Comment

No it's right but you'll be surprised at how many times someone will have to clean a set of carb to get them right.

Make sure you don't have any air leaks in your airbox boots as well as the box itself.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        No it's right but you'll be surprised at how many times someone will have to clean a set of carb to get them right.

Make sure you don't have any air leaks in your airbox boots as well as the box itself.
        triple checked it

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
          carbs are synced...

i did 2 turns out each one
          If you can't get it to run, how did you sync the carbs?

The IDLE MIXTURE ADJUSTMENT SCREWS that you have turned out 2 turns each, are NOT the sync adjusters.

The synchronizing adjusters are on the throttle shaft between the carbs. You do a "bench sync" to get them visually close to each other by looking through the carbs with some light behind them, so you can judge the size of the sliver of light. When you get the carbs on the bike, you start the engine, warm it completely so you are off the "choke", then connect your vacuum gauges and synchronize the carbs so they all have the same vacuum level.

If you haven't gotten the bike running yet, there is NO WAY the carbes are sync'ed.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

carbs have been synced is whats bad lol....i got a local guy coming to check it out tonight...

like i said once i get it running its fine...it will idle on its own just fine...run like a champ an everything

whatever is causing it...its somethin stupid
            Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
              carbs have been synced is whats bad lol....i got a local guy coming to check it out tonight...

like i said once i get it running its fine...it will idle on its own just fine...run like a champ an everything

whatever is causing it...its somethin stupid
              Just guessing here.. Could it be the way you are trying to start it?
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

My 80 has no petcock. When mine acted that way i took the vacuum line off at the carbs. I used (mouth )vaccum to make sure the check valve was working.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                  Just guessing here.. Could it be the way you are trying to start it?
                  pull choke out (low 60s out)...push button...nothing happens.give a lil gas...sorta hits...get fed up go eat

Comment

well i think we got it figured out...my idiot self didnt hook up the vent line from top of airbox to breather cover....

now its started just fine warm...but ill find out in the mornin if thats what was causin it....

thing ran great down the road too...pulls really good an everything

Comment

it wont start in the morning...its really ****ing me off now...starting fluid starts it then it dies again...

i got it started with starting fluid...its a bear to get it goin....hafta keep it about 2-3k rpm with choke open for about 2-3 min...

once bike is warm,and say it sits for 10 minutes... it fires right back up no problems
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X