89 1100 Gsxr Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 1100 Gsxr Carbs

Hard cold starting,Bike runs best when choke is pulled out stalls when choke pushed all the way in; Where do I start Richen up needle Or what? Installed new jet kit for 89 gixxer 1100 new tubes etc. Mains are 130 Any carb experts?Kn Pods 1 filter for cyl 1,2 1 filter for cyl 3,4
    Bike is 83 1100e

Carbs have push pull choke knob
    Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 01:12 PM.

Have you tried messing with the idle knob?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Finiky little suckers.

These carbs a touchy little bastards but they make for some pretty good "poor mans" flat slides if you can get them sorted out. I'm sure you've had them appart several times but you have to make sure the float assebly is seated all the way down on the float valve before you screw the bowls back on. Also, the float hinge is part of this platstic assembly that can get old and warped by this time in it's age. My number two was warped enough to allow the float to come out of the hinge. Caused the bike to act just as you described till I pulled the frame back together with a little copper wire. Other than that a bike that only runs with the choke on might be too lean. If I rember right I was running 117.5's on the one and and four carbs and 120 mains on the center two. Then settled down to 117.5's on all four. This was on an 89 GSX'r 750 with pods and a wide open SS2'r exhaust. I think my pilots were atleast 35's with no bleed holes. I only bring all this up because a factory set of GSX'r carbs will be jetted waaaaay lean. Put them on an old GS and you might be looking at having to go even richer than I did.

I do see that you are running 130's in it though wich would suggest the mains are not the lean problem so something mechanical might be the best place to start. with the carbs off of the bike I like to adjust the idle and balancing screws till just a hint of light is coming evenly through all four carbs. Makes initial starting of a bike gobs easier after working on the carbs.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
        These carbs a touchy little bastards but they make for some pretty good "poor mans" flat slides if you can get them sorted out. I'm sure you've had them appart several times but you have to make sure the float assebly is seated all the way down on the float valve before you screw the bowls back on. Also, the float hinge is part of this platstic assembly that can get old and warped by this time in it's age. My number two was warped enough to allow the float to come out of the hinge. Caused the bike to act just as you described till I pulled the frame back together with a little copper wire. Other than that a bike that only runs with the choke on might be too lean. If I rember right I was running 117.5's on the one and and four carbs and 120 mains on the center two. Then settled down to 117.5's on all four. This was on an 89 GSX'r 750 with pods and a wide open SS2'r exhaust. I think my pilots were atleast 35's with no bleed holes. I only bring all this up because a factory set of GSX'r carbs will be jetted waaaaay lean. Put them on an old GS and you might be looking at having to go even richer than I did.

I do see that you are running 130's in it though wich would suggest the mains are not the lean problem so something mechanical might be the best place to start. with the carbs off of the bike I like to adjust the idle and balancing screws till just a hint of light is coming evenly through all four carbs. Makes initial starting of a bike gobs easier after working on the carbs.
        Thanks for the useful info Where sould i set float level?

Comment

Float height

Never messed with the float height on mine as the tabs that shut off the valves are stainless and riveted to the plastic float assembly. They don't seem to move around like the old tin ones in the GS line. I checked all of them to make sure they were the same then moved on.

Comment

Working...
          X