1981 suzuki gs 1100 petcock position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 suzuki gs 1100 petcock position

Where do you put the petcock position when the bike is not in use prime / on/ resrerve?

Leave it in the on position unless you are low on fuel then reserve. Leaving it in prime allows fuel to free flow into the carbs and there's no guarantee the floats will hold it back.

Welcome to the forum. Basscliff would be along to give you his welcome packet but he's observing Lent right now by staying away from the forum. In the meantime, have some fun reading a lot of good information here - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Put your bike in your signature block and your location in your profile so we can help you even better.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The On and Reserve positions are really Automatic positions. Fuel flows when the engine is running, and the fuel shuts of when the engine is not running. If it is working correctly, just leave it ON or RES and no fuel will flow. There is no OFF position, it isn't necessary.

A LOT of these petcocks don't work anymore, they either leak, or they don't shut off, or they don't flow enough fuel to run the engine properly, or they leak fuel down the vacuum line into one of the carburetors which leads to a host of other problems. The petcock should be one of the first things to check when you get an old bike.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks a bunch i did not know where to leave it when it was not in use. i never had a bike with a petcock with a prime on it.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Why not post up some pictures of your bike as that's the unofficial requirement to be a member of the forum. Where you at?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

new here not to good at posting pics yet. this is a 1980 gs1100

Comment

Working...
            X