GS1100 starts then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 starts then dies

tried starting my stock GS1100E for the first time after years of sitting and it starts and sounds good for about 2 seconds then dies.

i didnt fully clean my carbs as everyone says you have to but i pulled the bowls and blasted the main and pilot jet and got the float needles unstuck, they were really clean but im sure theres still some gunk in there.
    they flow gas good and the floats stop fuel.

so what im asking is what would cause this, my airbox isnt sealed good as all the foam is rotted on the air filter box cover and air filter intake. could this be it or do i need to dip my carbs and get o rings?(which i dont want to do and why i posted this)

im sure you guys are going to tell me to bite the bullet and really clean the carbs but just wanted to see.

thanks

Bite the bullet....

There are no short cuts to a reliable bike.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post

so what im asking is what would cause this,
      Neglect, of course.
      Fix it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Short cuts are long cuts.
        Clean the carbs, seal the box, adjust the valves...

Comment

well got it running, i put duck tape on the front airbox to where there was only a little slit for air. it runs with the choke on and off, but doesnt idle. sounds pretty good no popping or sputtering really.

it also overflows fuel from the airbox, why is this? and i dont think the #2 cylinder is firing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
            well got it running, i put duck tape on the front airbox to where there was only a little slit for air. it runs with the choke on and off, but doesnt idle. sounds pretty good no popping or sputtering really.

it also overflows fuel from the airbox, why is this? and i dont think the #2 cylinder is firing.
            I like duct tape and vice-grips myself! Bike been sitting, petcock might be history,sending gas down vac line into #2 carb and back to airbox. As others have sorta hinted, there's some maintenance to catch up on- I'm sure you'd prefer a nice running and nice idling bike.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You got your bike to run using duct tape, how you going to stop, a long rope and an anchor tied to the back? I'm not usually the bad guy around here but, you asked for advice, ignored it, and asked for more after telling us you got it running with duct tape, Not sure what you want us to say, we can't diagnose stupid, sorry to be so blunt. It's been sitting for years as you say, and you want a shorcut to riding it, sorry, we don't do shortcuts here, we're all too willing to help anyone with their problems, and we don't care how much knowledge you have about bikes, in fact, sometimes its better to forget what you think you know and ride the shoulders of those before you. And I also understand not having a lot of $$ also, been there, still there. When you want some real help, start by re-reading everything you can absorb from BassCliffs website, and ask again. Sorry to be so harsh, but WOW!

Comment

Where you at?
                Far from Santa Barbara?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X