Faulty Fuel Petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty Fuel Petcock?

My 1981 GS650G, w/ about 32k, since I got it (March last year) the fuel petcock was very hard to turn (reserve, prime). Today after replacing the rubber boots to the carburetors and installing the air filters I put it in the prime position, after turning the starter I notice a torrent of gas leaking from the 1st left carburetor. I assume that MAYBE some gaskets/seals/diaphragms is/are gone. It is time to replace the petcock? Your help is appreciated! By the way I was not able to start the engine but I had a fire extinguisher by my side.

RAF

You will never have too many motorcycles
    like you will never have too many girlfriends....
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2012, 03:34 PM. Reason: gramatical

Where exactly is this "torrent of gas" coming from- petcock or #1 carb? Are you sure your fuel line isn't busted/cracked?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Faulty Fuel Petcock?

Tom203, the leak (torrent) is thru the 1st left carburetor, I assume (sorry) that somehow the fuel petcock is acting like in prime position (no restrictions) all the time.

RAF

Comment

The petcock feeds fuel to between carbs 2 and 3 -is fuel is flowing out of carb 1 ? or out of connection between 1 and 2 ? Did you have the carbs seperated recently? Anyway, IF carb #1 is overflowing then float needle valve is not shutting off (sticking or worn) - in "Prime" spot, there's constant pressure on float needle valves, so bad ones leak, but usually not in a torrent!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X