'84 GS 750EF carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'84 GS 750EF carb rebuild

Hey folks, so I'm rebuilding my 1984 GS 750EF (thread here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=189112).

I've searched the forums but can't find the information I'm looking for, so I'm posting this here.

I'm following this carb rebuild tutorial: http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf) and on page 38, it says to check the part #s on the main jet and pilot jet and compare to the ones in the factory manual.

I don't have the manual for my bike, but I've got the one for the 1983 750E-ES series, which I believe is nearly identical. That manual has 117.5 and 37.5 for the main jet and pilot jet, respectively. The main jet on my bike reads "R140," and the pilot jet "120." This means they're aftermarket parts, right?

So, a) is this a problem? Should I replace them? They appear to be in good condition. b) If I need to replace them, does this mean other parts in the carbs are suspect? Which ones? Should I consider replacing them as well? c) What source is recommended for these parts?

While I'm at it, the float needles have a small line or ring around the tapered end. The tutorial says to replace them if there is wear or if you can feel a ridge. I can't feel the line, but I can certainly see it and it seems to be minor wear from contact with the float seat. Is it time to replace?

Thanks so much!

So... just a quick bump to see if anyone can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Karstan View Post
      While I'm at it, the float needles have a small line or ring around the tapered end. The tutorial says to replace them if there is wear or if you can feel a ridge. I can't feel the line, but I can certainly see it and it seems to be minor wear from contact with the float seat. Is it time to replace?

Thanks so much!
      Have you tried to clean the tips with steel wool?
      The ring goes away...

Eric

Comment

I would leave the jets alone if the numbers are the same for all 4 carbs. You will do plug chops which will tell you a lot more than those numbers.
        I saw a chart this week that compares the various numbering schemes, but I can't recall where I saw it.

Comment

Whats it running? Pods, 4-1 ?

IF you doing a carb rebuild as per the book then its all the 'O' rings you are doing to replace and any damaged parts you find.

Comment

7981G- thanks for the tip!

Koolaid Kid - they're all the same.

Suzuki mad - It's got a 4-1 exhaust. Still have the airbox. I'm just concerned these may be inferior aftermarket parts from some kit. But I also don't want to drop the cash on getting new jets if it's unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
            X