No announcement yet.

I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is dark out and the bike is dirty but, it has worked for 17+ years.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by tucker8541 View Post
      Will try that, looking for a throttle valve slide for my bike is been pretty dam tough. Emailed 8 places so far.
      If you have 26s I may have a spare slide...

Is it possible that the carbs weren't put back together in the gangplank correctly??

Comment

I believe the carbs are VM26SS

Comment

Tapped into the manifold and ran a tube to the petcock and it worked! Very gratefull 7981GS! Works and runs great! But, I have a small problem though. After I shut down the bike and let it sit for a little bit, the #3 carb starts to drip some gas? I have tried to move the petcock lever to on/prime and even reserve. Yet it starts to leak a little? Does the bike need some time for the needle to seat or something? Leak is coming from the filter.

Cafe kid, if the throttle slide is for a VM26SS I would love to rebuild my stock carbs and get them in. I will throw you some cash or do a pimp deal. Let me know...

Comment

I would say that both your petcock anf the float needle are leaking.
            More likely than not, it is just the O-ring that goes around the seat assembly that is leaking there but, your petcock still needs to be replaced.

Eric

Comment

Looks like the needle needed some time to seat. No more leaks so far...

Thanks for all your help guys, still looking to rebuild they other carbs. Do you think I should sell the other extra set? May want to keep them since they are so rare to find parts for. Will post a pic soon, bike is done. Just have to pull it all apart again to get it ready for paint a powder coat.

Comment

I would still test that petcock.
                Hook a hose to the vacuum port on the petcock and add suction to it. No gasoline should come out.
                And, dump an entire can (15oz.) of Berryman's B-12 liquid carb cleaner into a full tank of fuel. (available at MaoMart and O'Rielly's for about $3.00)

Eric
                Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

It would be for a VM26 for sure. Lemme see what I can dig up

Comment

Let me know what you want for it, gonna do the rebuild and get them on. Thanks brother

Comment

Yep, carbs are leaking again, only leaks when the bike is on it's kick stand tilted to the side. 3 and 4 carbs are leaking opposite of the bike being tilted. When the bike is on it's center stand no leaks. I am thinking the floats or float needle. Will try and check the petcock if the floats and needles are good.

Comment

Ok, I pulled the carbs off and noticed the #4 float was low. Took it off and the float had gas in it. I got the gas out of the float and soldiered the hole in the float, all good no leaks. Adj all the floats a little higher than OEM suggestions from the GS750 manual (Being it's a GS1000 carb). Leaks are gone now!!! Since I had the bottom off the carbs off I changed out the 140 jets to a 110 jet size. Still loses a little around 6500-7200 rpm rather than 5500rpm, should of gone to 100 on the jets. I also noticed the #4 needle was rubbing againts the slide in the carb and so I centered it so the valve moves freely. It didn't go all the way down and seat. Thanks for the help and suggestions...

Anyway, I am rebuilding my stock OEM carbs and going with 100 jet size on them. Rechecked the float high and they are good. Just need a Throttle Valve! Cafe Kid hook me up!

Have to order a new single or a set of needles. Needle reads 5f21, looked them up on flebay and their seems to be differents ones (5f21-1, 2 3). Which ones are they for a 77?

Also, should I move the clip at the bottom and 1 shim/washer, or should I add more? Let me know what you think? Thanks again...

Comment

Any idea what needle {5F21(b, c, d?)} goes on my 1977 GS750? I want to replace my needles in my carb but when I search for them, it seems to have different types listed for 5F21? Any help? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X