Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't get choke to work on rebuilt carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't get choke to work on rebuilt carbs?

Just rebuilt the carbs on 79 850 (VM) and everything went well. Until now! Put them back on and trying to get the choke to work. It will pull up fine, but when I push the choke knob down the cable slips out of the end of the holder on the carbs, and choke doesn't go back down. Also can't get cable tight no matter which way I adjust (new cable), and worked before rebuild. Choke seems to be moving fairly easily up and down by hand. everything looks right on choke system on carbs. Does have a small spring on the end of choke shaft on left side, seem to be working, but could that be the problem? Any suggestions greatly welcome! Don't want to go any further on mounting everything else till I have this solved. thanks terrylee

Post up a picture as I'll bet something isn't connected properly where the cable meets the carbs.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'll try to post something tomorrow, right now I'm so tired I can't think! I was looking at and wondering about the spring on the outside left side of the choke shaft, I'm wondering if that has to be wound around the plastic piece on the end of the shaft one or two times to create tension and that's what helps pull it back down? Certainly not out of the realm of possibilites that something is hooked up wrong, I took pics. while tearing apart, but not very good ones. terrylee

Comment

If I am envisioning what I think your talking about, then it wouldnt hurt to put 1 turn on the spring and see what happens. If it improves, then go 2 and so on till its doing what it was before.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

We were right Chuck it was the spring. I went out (tired as I could be but couldn't get it out of my mind) Took the choke off several times and fiqured out the spring was bent and not slipping all the way onto the plastic round holder on the end of the shaft. Managed to get it unbent and back into place. Goes back down with no problem at all. Still can't seem to get cable tight as it should be, but at least it is not falling off. Will work on that more tomorrow and hopeful see if I can get it to fire up and get them sync. and adjusted.! terrylee

Comment

Working...
          X