GR650 Tempter (Sorry GSr's) Carb prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GR650 Tempter (Sorry GSr's) Carb prob

Got a 1983 Tempter 650 which my son is hoping to ride this summer. We just got a new battery and fired it up on Saturday.
    Right away he notices gas coming flying down over everything.

We check the fuel hoses etc. and can't get it to stop. I had run it earlier this year for 10 mins with no problems.

I suspect moving it around the garage we got some dirt in the float needle and/or the float is stuck. Bike was stored with full fuel and gas stabilizer.

Do you guys think that this is a probable cause before I go pulling the carbs.

Regards

Dave from Ontario (the Canadian one)

Same rules apply for all bike.
    petcock leaking along with needle valves leaking?

The GR 650 is a nice bike.

Comment

I'd do as Jeep suggested and check for fuel in the oil first, but then I reckon the safe option is to make sure your float valves and floats aren't sticking like you thought.

Were you able to see the source of the fuel? Overflow tubes?

Not terribly familiar with the GR carbs but there are some members on here with them, and they're definitely a GS relative
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

So, it started leaking as soon as it started up-but didn't leak before? Was the petcock left in either the "On" or "RES" spot?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Left on a side stand or main stand? Whats the inside of the tank like?

Your post says about fuel flooding every where, you need to be more specific as to where from? Bottom, middle or top of the carb. Did it start when you first fired up, a couple of minutes after or before?

Comment

On center stand for winter

It was left on RES. However with bike not running only leaks when on PRI. And that was on the side stand.

Best I can tell, it is leaking from around the float bowl gasket, I don't think it has overflow tubes on those carbs. Looks like the right side carb only.

I suppose I should first drain the bowls into a glas jar and see if there is any dirt in there.

Dave

'ppreciate the suggestions

OH, and also clean tank where I can see.

Comment

Working...
            X