Prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime

I'm just wondering how much to prime? I have an 82 gs 1100 GL and I just put the carbs back on after a rebuild. How long should I let it prime to get the bike going? I'm afraid I may have over-primed it and am nervous as to what I may have done. Any insights would be greatly appreciated thanks.

TH

It only needs to stay on prime for a couple of seconds really. Did you try to start it already?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I usually will swing it to prime for 10 or 15 seconds and then start it in the prime position. Once started i swing it down to ON.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you're referring to the "Prime" setting on the petcock, all that does is allow fuel to flow freely into the carb float bowls. If your float heights are set properly and you didn't leave it on Prime for more than a few minutes you're fine. Set the petcok to ON and fire 'er up! If you left it on Prime for any longer than 5 minutes or so, you might want to change your oil.

Comment

I had it on prime for maybe fifteen seconds total. It looked like fuel was flowing to the carbs the whole time. The bike's not starting yet and I wasn't sure if it was a fuel issue but it seems it may be electrical. It has been turning over but it just hasn't been catching. Unfortunately I won't be able to look at it for a couple of weeks since I just went back up to school but Ill have to check the spark plugs when I get back to it. If the prime is on for to long does it overflow into the oil? Will the floats stop it from overfilling even in the "ON" and "PRI" position when I'm cranking it?

Also, on an unrelated note my clymer manual says that the engine oil capacity after a rebuild (I split the crankcase) is 3.9 US gal. I was surprised by that amount and I figured it must have been a typo so I put in about four quarts and the level looked good on the sight. However, after trying to start it there is now no visible oil in the sight. Is that common and does it just need to settle after cranking? or was it not a typo? (it has to be... right?)

Thanks for all the help

TH

Comment

No it isn't a typo - most of that oil sucked into the engine like it should and will probably be sitting back in the pan by now.

The floats won't hold back the fuel all the time so don't trust them.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

OK, good to know thanks. Just goes to show that you should never make assumptions.

Comment

3.9 gallons???? That's a typo. That's almost what 16 quarts?!?

You sure that wasn't the tank capacity?

After a full engine rebuild they usually will take a quart or so maybe more than you'd use in an oil and filter change, but not 3.9 gallons.
                I'd add another half quart and see if it comes back in to the glass. You also need to wait a few minutes after cycling the engine to allow the oil to come back down.
                You should be checking the oil with the bike upright and as level as possible.

Do not put 3.9 gallons of oil into your bike.

Comment

Ooops

Thanks for catching that Josh, I read right over it thinking quarts as I know mine takes almost four quarts

Wow, can any bike or vehicle (aside from my truck) hold that much oil without spewing it all over the place?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Also, if you just mistyped and put gal instead of qts, you oughta be OK on oil. If you're not giving it full choke when you're trying to start it, it won't fire. If your bench sync wasn't right on your carbs it won't start. If you're trying to start it without any restrictions on the carbs (think airbox and filter here), it won't start. Go back over your steps and try again.

Comment

Technically, the fuel needle valves in the carb bowls SHOULD shut off the fuel and not allow it to keep flowing into the engine. I have forgotten to take mine off prime without a problem, but it's not a good idea because those valves can leak, you can have your floats set too high, or you can have a bad float.

As for priming, 10 or 15 seconds for a bike that has been sitting should be fine. I find it's better to do with the bike held straight instead of on the kickstand. Priming for newly installed carbs and you might need 30 seconds or more to get all four bowls filled. (IMO)

Comment

Thanks I thought four gallons was way to much. I put in four quarts and I was just second guessing myself since I couldn't see the level through the glass. I rechecked it in the manual as well and it is a typo--- 3.9 gal.

I guess when I get back down to it I'll look at the carbs again.
                        Thanks for all your help everyone.

TH

Comment

Working...
                        X