79 GS550 carb vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS550 carb vent

Not sure whats going on, but I figured I would run this buy you guys since you have been so helpful.

I haven't been working on my GS550 lately, but I finally got back at it. It does run, but now one of the carbs just spits fuel ever 30 seconds or so out of the vent line. It is like it fills the bowl, spits it all out, then starts filling the bowl again, in a vicious cycle.

Originally it was carb 1, so I pulled it apart, adjusted everything, etc, and now it spits from carb 3.

It's almost like the needle isn't closing or something.

The petcock on the bike is broken, and it is basically just an on off valve now. Could it be possible this is the cause? Maybe since it isn't working off a vacuum now, it just doesn't know when to stop filling the carbs?

I am all ears for any ideas, and tanks in advance!!

Nope, your it's your floats, or gunk in the float needle and can be in more than one carb, check them all. Have they been cleaned?
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

The carbs were cleaned, and dipped for over 24 hours. There is not a spot on them at this point.

I guess the only thing to try for now is checking the float level on all 4 carbs?

Comment

I think Gustovh is on the right track; probably a needle and/or seat problem.
        I cleaned my carbs completely last spring and still had issues with fuel
        spitting out of a vent hose every so often. I would remove the corresponding float bowl and check for anything with the needle. Once I found a small piece of something holding it open. I had my carbs off again this winter, and installed 4 new needles and seats. I started it up and had #4 vent hose spitting fuel. I tapped the float bowl with a wrench and it hasn't done it since. It's an on-going issue with my bike.

Comment

Working...
        X