Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres what i'm dealing with

Comment

Sedelen, I agree. Which reminds me, I still have to do the tests. The carbs are ready but I keep getting busy. I will report this: 3 times this year I have left the GPz petcock on prime over night with no leaks, no overflows. But it was not a scientific experiment, just an accidental memory fart. Bike was on the centerstand each time.
      My GS manual has the warning, the GPz manual does not. The are also Mikuni BS34s, the needle and seat are identical, but other things are different, such as the volume of the fuel bowl (smaller for the GPz).
      Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2012, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I also agree that the petcock should not be left on prime. Has never happened to me , yet (knock on wood)

But, to the experienceded GS owners eye, isn't this needle jet in backwards? And if so is probably the cause of the strange sudden leak when the bike is leaning, even while running?

Comment

I rode my GS1100E today and started out with the petcock in "Prime." I stopped at a gas station to wait on a friend, I forgot to put it back to "On" and in the 15 minutes it sat, I noticed the petcock was still in Prime,
          and yes it had started leaking. So, I put it back ot "On" and ran it a few minutes, the leak had stopped. Now there may be more going on here with the float level I don't know, the bike was on the sidestand.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            I rode my GS1100E today and started out with the petcock in "Prime." I stopped at a gas station to wait on a friend, I forgot to put it back to "On" and in the 15 minutes it sat, I noticed the petcock was still in Prime,
            and yes it had started leaking. So, I put it back ot "On" and ran it a few minutes, the leak had stopped. Now there may be more going on here with the float level I don't know, the bike was on the sidestand.
            I'll try to get those carbs tested this week. I started to test them, one carb started leaking after only an hour so I called it a failure and stopped the test. I'll clean those needle and seats and start over. The test setup is already prepared, it is just a matter of finding the time to watch over them.

Comment

The leaking could be worse on the side stand because the float is angled with respect to the fuel surface, putting torque on the float pivot point (greater lift on the left float half than the right one). It's probably small considering the small lean angle, but if the fuel valve seats and needles are a little worn, the torque could cause enough stiction in the float pivot to keep it from pressing hard enough on the needle to stop fuel valve.

Comment

So, that raises the question: What angle is the bike at? I ask because my GPz has an insane lean angle. It won't even run on the sidestand, so I have to turn off the engine, put it on the sidestand, dismount, and put it on the centerstand. Pretty annoying, because the GS has a much smaller lean angle and will run on the sidestand.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  So, that raises the question: What angle is the bike at? I ask because my GPz has an insane lean angle. It won't even run on the sidestand, so I have to turn off the engine, put it on the sidestand, dismount, and put it on the centerstand. Pretty annoying, because the GS has a much smaller lean angle and will run on the sidestand.
                  My Busa also leans way too far. The kickstand has a bend in it and I need to find a press to straighten it a little. Either that or I'm going to weld an extension onto the end.

My GS1100 barely leans at all. Makes it hard to park if the road is slanted.

Comment

My GS as well.. I have the GPz on the sidestand running a test to see if they leak. I rebuilt them myself and they have been perfection until now. We'll see.

Comment

My gs leans waaay further on the side stand than my son's Honda. In fact I was questioning that lean angle, seems to lean too far.
                      I didnt get any replies on whether or not my needle jet was put in backwards by the previous owner, can anyone verify this from my photo? I'm not even sure if this photo is showing up, but here it is again.

Comment

Originally posted by System9 View Post
                        ...I didnt get any replies on whether or not my needle jet was put in backwards by the previous owner, can anyone verify this from my photo? I'm not even sure if this photo is showing up, but here it is again.
                        That is definitely wrong. Check out the rebuild guide from BassCliff's site: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ning_guide.pdf and you'll see pictures of what it should look like.

In fact, print a copy of it while you've got it open and then follow it STEP-BY-STEP including the ordering new o-rings which you definitely need.

Comment

Not sure if you found your leak problem but I just recently had to fix one I had. I took off the carbs and noticed my #4 carb float was lower than the others. I took off the floats and found gas in it, small hole. A little soldier and checked for leaks, no leaks (Make sure to test it). Than checked all the floats to make sure they where at the right height. I set them at the highest OEM recommended setting. (Higher meaning shutting them off faster) Slapped them all on and wammo! No leaks. Try it, simple fix if that is the problem.

If that doesn't work, if you have a vacuum type petcock, pull off the vacuum line off the carb that is connected to the second small petcock nipple. Give it a good suck (Not a joke!), if you get gas from the tank. You have a bad petcock. Make sure the petcock is on the "On" position.

Hope that helps

Comment

I have a GS850G leaking gas

I have a similare problem with my GS850G It seems to be leaking gas as it sits on side stand.I just purchased it ,when i first purchased it I noticed the smell of gas comming from it, the guy I purchased it from said that he thought it was the needle jet but he was not sure.He also told me that the battery would lose charge after about a week.When I first got it he had to jump start it from a 12 volt car battery.It did staret up and sounded good.I had him ride it to my house which was about 13 miles so I could check it out as he was riding it and everything was good.I have it in my garage and I could smell gas really bad so I put it out side for a couple of days .I then started it up and took it for a cruse it ran just fine,but now the otherday i tryed to start it up and it will not start.I put the battery on a trickle charger to charge it up all of thr way,but I still cant get it started does any on have any suggestions on what may be causeing this problem.Thanks

Comment

You may be overlooking the simple explanation for leaking on the side stand and coming from the airbox....it may be leaking ALL the time, just runs back to the airbox due to the angle of the bike on the sidestand, centerstand it may be filling your crankcase full of fuel. Check your oil with a stick for fuel, smell it or try and see how easy it lights on fire.....the stick!!

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                                You may be overlooking the simple explanation for leaking on the side stand and coming from the airbox....it may be leaking ALL the time, just runs back to the airbox due to the angle of the bike on the sidestand, centerstand it may be filling your crankcase full of fuel. Check your oil with a stick for fuel, smell it or try and see how easy it lights on fire.....the stick!!
                                Damnit, I didn't finish reading before.....

Comment

Working...
                                X