Carbs wont go on boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs wont go on boots

I just put new seals and ss hex screws on the intake boots but can not get the carb to slide on. I tried silicone, penetrating lube and a mallot and still cannot get them on. Any tricks?

If the boots are all the right size and they are just being stubborn anyway, wrap a ratchet strap around the front of the engine, and around the back of the carbs and pull them into place. Put the ratchet part in front of the engine so the carbs don't get damaged.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ky?............

Comment

On an '80 1000GL? Don't try to do them all at once. Get #1 popped in, then tip the rack, seating 2, 3, and finally 4 in succession. If they're really being difficult, the rubber is old and probably cracked (and therefore probably leaky). I have new boots on my 1000G, and the carbs go on pretty easily with just some wiggling. The same goes for the air box boots. Hard ones are very difficult to get onto the back of the carbs so they will stay. I know new boots are a significant investment, but they're worth it.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
          Ky?............
          I prefer Astroglide.

That, and a big screwdriver, is how I get it done.

Comment

Hi gs1000emt - I have been having the save problem with the air intake boots on my GS1000G, the ones from the air box to the carbs. The inside diameter of the boots had shrunken to around 51-52 mm. The outside diameter of the carb intakes are 55mm. The boots simply would not go back on to the correct location and I'm in no hurry to this thing done.

My solution to the problem as follows...

- Make a thorough inspection of each boot to ensure there are no cracks or holes. If there is any doubt as to the integrity of the rubber, go for new ones. I have been attempting to order new boots and clamps from Boulevard Suzuki but they wont return my order emails - $84 bucks saved.

- Soak the boots in car power steering fluid for a couple of days. The fluid that I used has an extra added, you beaut, wizz bang rubber conditioner. But I think most of these fluids have some sort of conditioner added.

- Measure the outside diameter of the carb where the boots slide on.

- Find something in your shed, garage or workshop that is round and has the same outside diameter as the carbs. In my case the only thing that I could find to suit is a 54 mm hole saw blade. I modified the blade by grinding off the teeth so there would not be any damage to the inside of the boot. (I have another 54mm hole saw blade so I have no issues sacrificing one for the common good)

- Lube the inside of the boots with the power steering fluid and force the hole saw blade into the boot until it reaches the bottom of the carb side of the boot. Install the original boot clamp to its correct location and tighten.

- Take an old saucepan from the kitchen (one that wont get used again for heating your morning beans), half fill with water and add a pinch of salt and boil the boot/tool combo for 15 to 20 minutes.
            Why a pinch of salt I hear you ask? It helps to bring the water to the boil more rapidly, softens the water (only the best for GS parts) and seasons the whole damn thing in case you want to drink the soup later. It could happen, we have some very GS obsessed people here you know.

- I left mine to sit overnight to cool and slowly stretch to the required size. The next day I removed the special resizing tool and BAM the boot slid into place with no struggles, just like a new one.

Heres a couple of pics of my special GS air intake boot stretching tool.

Comment

Simoniz protectant is the best rubber lube I have ever seen.
              It is slicker than snot and dries to nothing over time.

Works great on bushing and everything.

Comment

Wow! Lots of great ideas! Thanks guys. Ill give these a shot and if I still have trouble I'll buy new boots. Where are the best place to get the boots?

Comment

You can also soften up the boots with a judicious application of heat. Get an electric paint strip gun or borrow the old lady's hair drier. Will soften the rubber up and with a shot of silicone lube things will pop right in. I also endorse tkents ratchet strap method. No fuss, no muss.

Works everytime for me.

cheers,
                  spyug

Comment

I second spyug's comment. Just used a heat gun on the boots and after some pushing, they went in pretty easily. Comparatively speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by morgolf View Post
                      I second spyug's comment. Just used a heat gun on the boots and after some pushing, they went in pretty easily. Comparatively speaking.
                      I was having the same issue this week...heat gun and a ratchet strap (around carbs and engine)...popped right on

Comment

Working...
                      X