81 550 t air screw setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 550 t air screw setting

I've had this bike for a while and decided to pick the project back up. it seems like its running rich. I remember i was messing with the air screws last time i was working on it. However i can't find the manual i used last time.
    Basically I'm trying to figure out what the stock settings are for the airscrews. I think it was something like 2 1/2 turns i just want to make sure i'm starting with everything at the correct setting before i mess around too much.
    1981 gs 550 t
    searching "air screw" turned up a lot of results so if anyone can save em some reading it would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the site. You're actually referring to the idle mixture screws which to start off with should be set to 3 turns from lightly seated and then adjust from there.

With that said, have you properly cleaned the carbs, replaced the orings (intake boots too), adjusted the valves, and synched the carbs? Are you running pods or the stock airbox?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

stock airbox-ish, i had an airbox from an older model that i modified to fit the bigger boots. those pods make me nervous idk why i just don't trust k&n type filters i've heard bad things for cars atleast.
      I gave it a good cleaning before i stopped the project and kept it off the bike covered so it wouldn't get dirt etc in it.
      I didn't sinc it but i never split the gang. it'll start up and idle fine it is kinda sluggish when i give it gas and chokes out when i give it too much. intake boots are fresh. o-rings looked fine. haven't gotten to the valves.
      anyways 3 turns sounds about right I'll start from there see what i find.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

You really need to clean those carbs the right way by dipping them. Follow the maintenance steps found on Basscliff's site...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ under the Read Me section as well as Nessism's tutorial. Otherwise you'll keep experiencing problems.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Oh wow thats a heck of a website. thank you much

Comment

Working...
          X