Don't know where to start with carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know where to start with carbs

Alright I kinda lied in the title, but here we go I have an 85 550l. Got the bike with out carbs and long story short have no air box (wanna run pods). Now I've got a set of carbs and know I need to rebuild them and "dip" them. Also I know I'm going to need to jet them. There's my questions
    1: what do I dip them in and clean them with aside from carb cleaner
    2: is there some pictures of where all of the lines go?
    3: what filters can I run? They look different from the older carbs so I can't run the 4 individual filters

Thanks for any help guys!

1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

So you have the dual dual carbs?
      Go here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      and grab Nessism's Mikuni BS (CV) carb rebuild tutorial. Follow it exactly, especially the tools. It tells you everything.

Comment

Carb dip is the best thing to use although it is pricey now (~$35 at OReilly's and Autozone). Otherwise, follow what the guys are telling you.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Follow the info above e.g. the carb tutorials.
          1/ A good carb dip (berrymans or similar) that you can get where you are (Berrymans not available in the UK so I've found)
          2/ Follow the tutorials it will tell you!
          3/ Any pod you like. Just remember your likely to have to up jet the bike.

Comment

I did not see any on K&N's site, just up to 1982. Remember, they require an oval style because they carbs are paired together.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the good info! And that's one hell of a chart duaneage with a lot of good stuff. And il keep looking around for a filter that will fit the "oval" shape

Comment

if anyone cares, the really nice ppl at dynojet gave me a k&n part number that will work with the stock air box boots. HA-0750

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Carb dip is the best thing to use although it is pricey now (~$35 at OReilly's and Autozone). Otherwise, follow what the guys are telling you.
                  Was about 18 bux at Walmart last time I got some a few months ago.

1978 GS1000C
                  1979 GS1000E
                  1980 GS1000E
                  2004 Roadstar

Comment

Carb dip is the best thing to use although it is pricey now (~$35 at OReilly's and Autozone).
                    Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Was about 18 bux at Walmart last time I got some a few months ago.
                    Well, it's gone up since then.

Cowboy mentioned that to me a couple months ago, so next time I was at Wal-Mart and at Auto Zone, I checked. I saw it for $28, might have gone up again.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

19.95 for my Berrymans from Napa.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't know if they have it where you live but Wal-Mart has Berrymens here in NH for $18.99 a gallon
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The Walmart in Co Springs was out for awhile but yea, check there too Aznpride
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you completely disassemble the carbs... remove the gaskets, remove the jets, remove the o-rings, floats and yadda-yadda...

Go outside on your grill... take an old pot (big enough to fit 2 carbs in fully submerged) and boil 50/50 lemon juice and water. Once it's boiling, drop the carbs in... let them sit for about 20-30 minutes on a rolling boil... flip them around every 10 minutes.

Take them out... and dunk them in a bath of warm water.

Take an air-hose... blow out all the holes... done.

Carb-dip.. though it works, will take about a 24-48 hour soak per-carb depending on how badly they're varnished.

Plus.. lemon juice is about $2.00 a quart.

Just my .02

PS.. DO NOT do this in your house... it will not smell like cookies and your better half will probably disown you.

Comment

Ordered a set of filters off eBay but thanks cowboy. Danny....I some what feel like your messing with me!! Hhahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X