Confirmation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmation?

Hi guys. So 83 gs1100gl. When I first got it it had stock air box (no filter though) and stock exhaust. It had a terrible dead spot between 3000-45000 rpm. So on a guess I switched to pod filters, that lowered the dead spot to just 3000-4000 rpm. And today I bolted on a mac 4:1 exhaust took it for a spin. No dead spot at all. I know I am suppose to jet it when I make these changes, but I am thinking it hd already been jetted before hand and was running way too rich causing the dead spot. So am I correct in mythe thinking or is it just a fluke? Note: I have no idea what has or hasn't been done to it before I bought it, jet working it out as I go along. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Possible, but to check is to know. You really need to have a look at the jets. Since you don't know the history, It may not be a bad idea to pull the carbs off for a cleaning anyway.

You know what they say about ass-u-ming don't you. So have a look and satisfy yourself.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Agree with Spyug. You'll never know for sure unless you open things up and get going. Have you gone through the recommended maintenance given to you by Basscliff in his welcome package? If not, please do so or you'll be having problems for a long time to come.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wouldn't plug chops give him the info he needs? IDK because I don't do them, just asking.

Comment

Your right. I am gonna have to take em off and inspect em to know for sure. They probably could use a good cleaning anyways. Thanks

Comment

Alright ill run a plug chop as well. Just gives me another excuse to haul ass! Its always been fast, but its a totally different ball game w/o that dead spot, and I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rune View Post
              Alright ill run a plug chop as well. Just gives me another excuse to haul ass! Its always been fast, but its a totally different ball game w/o that dead spot, and I love it!
              I'm just of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the dead spot is gone, it is time to read the plugs. I use a wideband which is far more accurate, but chops should tell you if you are in the ballpark. And gives you more time to ride. It takes about 5 days to clean the carbs if you soak each carb 24 hours, then reassembly, reinistallation, and you are chopping anyway.

Comment

It takes about 5 days to clean the carbs if you soak each carb 24 hours, then reassembly, reinistallation,
                Or you can dip them all at once for 24 hrs and rebuild them in another 2 Get four large plastic margarine or ice cream containers ( or something from the $1 store) and use one for each carb body and jets, split the gallon of cleaner into four equal amounts and you should be good to go.

I do it this way and it makes life alot easier and quicker.

Just suggesting.

Cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                  Or you can dip them all at once for 24 hrs and rebuild them in another 2 Get four large plastic margarine or ice cream containers ( or something from the $1 store) and use one for each carb body and jets, split the gallon of cleaner into four equal amounts and you should be good to go.

I do it this way and it makes life alot easier and quicker.

Just suggesting.

Cheers,
                  spyug
                  haha thats what i use, well that and discarded 5 gallon buckets from work, probably got 50 "gallons" worth of spare nuts, bolts, and god only knows what.

Oh and a quick update. Drove it to town and back to pick up spare plugs for plug chop. About a 10 mile round trip, the dead spot is not totally gone its just miniscule now. 3500-3600 maybe 3700 rpm it sounds like it bogs down, (which is what i been calling a dead spot) but its so tiny it took me a few mins to realize it. Now even when all this was stock the dead spot would almost go away when engine got warm, so I thought valve shims maybe, dunno i got an extra head tempted to switch it out and see what happens.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X