flat black bbq paint on exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat black bbq paint on exhaust?

Ok so I did what everyone says I should do...I painted my exhaust with heat proof bbq paint.

Now whenever I pick up the exhaust, the oil from my hands leave an oil mark on the flat black part....Is there anyway I can stop this from happening?

It was black or rust or replace....I'm thinking to replace with a 4-2(if anyone is selling) whenever one comes up...in the meantime its this.

I'd wear latex gloves when I did mine. Still had some smudging but not much.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think if you read the instructions it mentions that heat is needed to properly cure it. Bolt them on and fire it up. Ride and see what happens. Repaint if necessary.

Looks good.

enjoy.
      spyug

Comment

Dude, stop touching the pipes with lotion on your hands.

You'll be fine. If it is truely "oil" as you say, it will burn off when the pipes get hot a few times.

Stop getting all worked up about it. By the way, I think the flat black looks LOADS better than the rust.

Comment

I've had better luck with VHT Flameproof. After you have run them for a while. wipe them down with a WD-40 rag and a clean rag, they will take on a semigloss sheen. The muffler on mine never gets hot enough to cure, so you can use any good semigloss spray on that later.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Why in gods name did you paint the Aluminium Yosh muffler can??? You do realize that will polish and look like chrome if you use a buffing wheel right?
            That pipe and can are some rare and sought after bits. Don't hide the Yosh!!

Comment

I used the high heat on mine but I etched the hell out of em with 80 grit on a D/A sander. Put on several, 7 or 8 coats with the final coat being very thick. It dries fast so it's a fairly quick tast.

Holding up ok but there are a few scratches that I have no idea where they came from. Seems to scratch pretty easily.
              Easy enough to re-coat to cover em.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Why in gods name did you paint the Aluminium Yosh muffler can??? You do realize that will polish and look like chrome if you use a buffing wheel right?
                Chrome? Heh, chrome only looks good on those other bikes.
                I like the black!
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

A closet L fan... I knew it !

Comment

could have it done like this....

Comment

Been thinking about BBQ'ing my kerkers too.
                      I have 500 deg primer on it now, and is holding up very well
                      except for the upper elbows. They are turning dry-white...but that's expected since they can exceed 500 deg.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                        could have it done like this....

Yeup. I've had a couple three of those..love em

Comment

Yeah bu by polishing you totally destroy value. Same is true of restoration of any kind. Unless you are the greasy guys on Pawn Stars who use both actions as a reason to screw a patron one way or the other.

There are some decent custom Chinese pipes available on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                            Yeah bu by polishing you totally destroy value. Same is true of restoration of any kind. Unless you are the greasy guys on Pawn Stars who use both actions as a reason to screw a patron one way or the other.

There are some decent custom Chinese pipes available on ebay.
                            you can't tell me leaving them like this would have been better ??

in time the shine will go away and they will be back the way they were, I didn't put anything on the pipe once I polished the can

by the way anyone have a dent free set of the headers ??????? so I don't have to try and fix mine.....
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I bet you could cure the paint using a heat gun at a low temperature. Just an idea though.

Comment

Working...
                              X