leaking petcock bolts, 81 gs450e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking petcock bolts, 81 gs450e

I went out today to go for a quick ride and found gas on the floor and paint pealing off the tank : ( . I put a new rubber o-ring on the petcock last fall but it seems to be leaking fuel from the bolts. Does anyone have a reliable fix for this? is there some kind if special rubber washer or something that seals the bolts? Never understood the thought process behind the way these petcocks are bolted on.

They don't take o-rings. There is a special type of washer that has a metal ring with rubber on the inside of the circle. Hard to describe but easy to understand when you see them. I forget the name of these washers (sealing washers?) but that is what you need.

Comment

Number four in the picture, but that name description doesnt sound right to me.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        They don't take o-rings. There is a special type of washer that has a metal ring with rubber on the inside of the circle. Hard to describe but easy to understand when you see them. I forget the name of these washers (sealing washers?) but that is what you need.
        I have seen these on master cylinder bolts. Thanks, to both of you, more stuff to add to the next order!

Comment

Those special washers are called Dowty seals. Easy to find (plus Suzuki still sell them).
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
          X