GS450 n00b Carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 n00b Carb problems

For some reason, my bike starts fine, idles great, but as soon as I give it a bike of gas, it bogs out and dies. It has been rejetted for pods and colorado riding. I have done a rebuild, but Its still happening. I was thinking its in need of a bigger main jet, yes? This is killing me.

When you say it's been re-jetted do you mean you have a DynoJet kit in it?
    Because if not, it's not going to run right no matter what size main jet you put in it.

The vacuum operated carbs, which yours has, were not designed to work with pods when using the stock needles. They won't work. You need to do the following.
    A> completely disassemble, soak the bodies float bowls and jets in carb dip, install new orings and re-assemble. There is a tutorial on this. It MUST be done
    The fact that your bike will not accept throttle means your pilot circuit is plugged up by crap.
    B> buy and install a Dynojet or comparable jet kit per the instructions.

It will not run correctly otherwise.

Comment

Did you by any chance buy a kit from 7Sigma or some name like that from eBay? If so, I've heard mixed reports about the results of what he sells... I believe he doesn't intend to rip people off or anything like that, but I have heard of several instances where there's a lot of back and forth with jets etc. before it's right.

My bike's doing something similar where just off idle it bogs down but it doesn't stall. It means I need to much throttle and clutch slip to get off the line.

Bogging typically means too rich, and I know for a fact with mine that it really is too rich. I have a Colortune here waiting for me to get a day to get stuck in and getting them running right. I believe my mains are way too big and my needles have been raised one notch, so I expected it to be too rich from the get-go.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have no idea what the PO has done. It has UNI pods on it, that all I know really. I have the stock, I think I'll just put those in and buy the stock airbox from Ebay. Its so much easier and I don't have enough time to play the jet game. Thank you guys.

Comment

Working...
        X