Reverse cone Shorty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse cone Shorty

Is anyone running the 17" Emgo shorty, reverse cone megaphones? I think they would look great on a 450 but some people seem to think they are too loud. It seems you might be able to add more glass? and quiet them down a little. Love to hear some opinions. Thanks.
    ndaugbjerg

I don't know anything about the Emgos.

If you're looking for an inexpensive muffler that is also excellent quality, consider buying some stock mufflers from a late model Harley Sportster. It's pretty common for people to use these on Honda CB350s and the like and they should be pretty easy to adapt to your 450. Since so many Harley guys immediately change over to new (loud) pipes, the market for the Sportster mufflers is almost nothing. Check ebay and craigslist.

Comment

Ajay,
      Thanks. I'll spend some time on ebay and Craigslist this weekend.
      ndaugbjerg

Comment

+1 on the Harley Sportster take-offs. They are better quality than the Emgos and not nearly as loud IMHO. I ran them on my 650 tracker so they should be fine for a 450.

If you do use the Emgos you likely will want to put in a baffle and some extra glass to calm them down a bit. Then you'll also have all the fun (possibly) of rejetting the carbs. I heard they will make you run a bit too much on the lean side and cause backfiring on deceleration.

The fun and games of modifying your exhaust system.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,
        spyug

Comment

Spyug,
          Thanks for the feedback. I looked at ebay and there are some nice ones for practically nothing! I think I'll call the local Harley dealers as well and see if I can take a pair off their hands for cheap. We have 6-8 big Harley dealers in the Houston metro area.
          ndaugbjerg

Comment

I have the Herdly pipes on my 650, they are very quiet and it looks pretty good. Seems to be a bit restrictive, it runs rich and seems to limit the power at high RPM. It would probably be better on a 450.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X