No announcement yet.

Hanging Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure the stock pilots for those carbs are 15? Most were but the early bikes were well up in the 20s. I can't remember off the top of my head but the manual will tell what size is standard for your bike.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      Are you sure the stock pilots for those carbs are 15? Most were but the early bikes were well up in the 20s. I can't remember off the top of my head but the manual will tell what size is standard for your bike.
      I just checked here:

Pilot jets may be 15 stock, but a couple of those numbers suggest 22.5 and 27.5, so the bike running better on the 22.5 with the stock airbox makes sense. If that is the case, you're likely going to have to upsize both pilots and main with your 4 into 1 and pods.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        Actually, you might be right. BassCliff's chart shows the early 750's with 22.5 and 27.5 pilot. Those also had larger stock mains (105s) and much leaner float height (26mm). My 1978 stock specs are 15 pilot, 100 main and float at 23mm +/- 1mm.

As I understand it, the physical properties of the VM26 carbs from 77-79 didn't change. Did Suzuki flip the specs after 1977, to enrich the float level but change to smaller jets?

Back to the OP, if you jetted the carbs in reference to the 1978-79 specs (or because a PO used those specs for jetting), but set the floats at 1977 specs, that could put you in the lean range.

Basically, I am projecting my lean idle float height situation onto you. :-) We could both be right though.

Comment

Working...
        X