Progress! (and a question!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress! (and a question!)

I got all the intake boots off! Ready for new o-rings (after I clean the engine up some!)

I was able to drill out one of exhaust the bolts I broke off earlier. After drilling a certain amount I was able to pick the threads out with a dental pick.

Now - I'm trying to get the engine bolts off to jack it up a few inches so I can do the same with the other one still in there.

This bolt is completely unscrewed, but will not pull out of the engine/frame. I was able to remove the similar bolt on the other side. It doesn't seem like it matters whether or not I jack the engine up or let it down. I'm not sure what the hell it catches on?

We were planning on leaving these 2 screws in and removing the other ones, so that the engine can pivot on it and not be completely removed. My dad is helping me, he's a mechanical engineer. Do you guys think it's o.k. to assume this is possible?

That bolt is connect to a small piece of metal plate on the other side, once the bolt is completely unscrewed the metal plate will fall down and out. If you reach up you will probably feel it. It shouldn't be able to rotate up in there, but you never know. The bolt should really just thread out and the plate will fall out, but you never know, see if it's rotating. As far as the motor pivoting, I guess it should work, you'll find out soon enough. Pretty lucky with the thread coming out like that, I'll cross my fingers for you on the next one.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by providedrailroad View Post

This bolt is completely unscrewed, but will not pull out of the engine/frame. I was able to remove the similar bolt on the other side. It doesn't seem like it matters whether or not I jack the engine up or let it down. I'm not sure what the hell it catches on?
      Someone may have used a regular nut instead of the special teardrop shaped one.
      Get under there and look up at it.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The teardrop shaped bolt already fell out, I'm saying now that it's out the bolt will not come out the rest of the way still!

Comment

That's really odd. There shouldn't be anything holding it in there unless some how the PO put a larger bolt in there and now it won't thread back out?? very strange.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hmm, no, definitely the same bolt. I mean we didn't think there should be anything holding it there either, we even tried putting a wrench behind the head of the bolt and knocking it backwards with an engineers hammer.

You're right. it is weird. But yeah, it's loose in there but as soon as you try and pull through the frame it acts like it's stuck.

Comment

Check and make sure the PO didn't put a lock washer in there of some sort maybe?
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I got it out, just had pry with a hammer a little bit! I was afraid of forcing it but maybe I shouldn't have been.

I wasn't as lucky with the second bolt but found a solution. Not sure if you guys really want to hear about it though, you might cringe. I do, sometimes, when I think about it, but it works and shouldn't visually seem any different.

Going to clean the engine up some more, waiting on crush washers then I'm going to put the exhaust back on.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                X