82 GS850 carb (bs32) issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850 carb (bs32) issues

I bought this bike last fall and after rebuilding/cleaning the carbs I realized the previous owner had stripped the #2 pilot screw threads so I couldn't adjust it...I was able to get it running (poorly, but running) so I purchased a used #2...this week I finally found the time to switch the #2 out.

I was able to ride it for about 1/2 hour (on choke), It ran wonderfully for that time period (good throttle response, pulled hard through 7k...didn't take it above that) after the 1/2 hour it seemed to start starving for fuel and died - I new I should have done the vacuum sync before taking her out, but could wait

Now I have got the bike kind of running again, but really only on with the petcock on prime (petcock is new and is oem). On prime, I still have to run with choke on and it idles high (around 2k) - getting to the idle adjustment is tough, but when turned it doesn't change the idle
    Which way should lower the idle?

If I have petcock on run, it seems like its not getting fuel

If on prime (and choke) - runs at around 2k idle, but pops some

pilot screws are set to 2.5

no leaks at boots (checked with wd40)

Covered 1/2 of the air intake with hand no real change

Any ideas? Do I need to reclean the carbs AGAIN?

yes, I clean with a berrymans dip and shoot carb cleaner through all ports
    new orings, needle valves and #2 pilot screw

No I have not yet done a valve adjustment

Are you using a factory airbox and filter or pods? no box and it will never run right, pods will need to rejet. Also what are the idle mixture screws set out? Try starting with 2 1/2 out. Also is your vacum line hooked up correctly, might be why fuel starved. Check you tank and make sure no rust inside. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
      Are you using a factory airbox and filter or pods? no box and it will never run right, pods will need to rejet. Also what are the idle mixture screws set out? Try starting with 2 1/2 out. Also is your vacum line hooked up correctly, might be why fuel starved. Check you tank and make sure no rust inside. terrylee
      factory airbox, new oem air filter in airbox.

vacuum line seems to be ok, I actually took a new piece of line and put it no today (no change)

when you say idle mixture screws, i assume that is the same as "pilot screw"...they are set to 2 1/2

inside of take looks fantastic...part of the reason I bought the bike was how good the tank inside looked.

Comment

I ran the bike on prime yesterday and noticed that #4 exhaust was not getting hot...I guess I need to clean the carbs once again - I hope this is the only issue and I will be riding soon

Comment

Working...
        X