• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should carb rebuild on 82 1100G cost

I need to get carbs on suzi rebuilt.
    I have the skill, I think
    Just not the time.
    Any Idea what it should cost to have this done?

Depends on what it all needs, if it's a simple tear down, clean, and new O rings and rebuild, of which you can do all on you own about 40 bucks

have a look here....

and

Hi Mr. bjlffire,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you insist on having it done at a shop, don't be suprised to have it cost $2-300.

Of course, that is if the do a proper, FULL job. They will probably want to use "rebuild kits", which is NOT a good idea.

If they dip the carbs for a proper amount of time to clean the inside passages, the carbs should be in there for about 24 hours, but they will probably only charge you an hour or so per carb.

Overall, probably one to one and a half hours PER CARB, so four to six hours of labor, then a final hour for final assembly, install on the bike and synchronization.

If you do it yourself, figure on a $15 kit from cycleorings, about $20 for a can of berrymans, less than $5 for some disposable muffin tins to keep all the parts straight, even toss in $120 for your own sync tool, you will be FAR ahead financially, and you will know that they will be done RIGHT.

I think if you look in the member services forum, you might find some members that might do the job for you, at a substantial savings. Normally, I would be one of them, but my job keeps me away from home too much of the time for me to offer that service on a reliable basis.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think if you look in the member services forum, you might find some members that might do the job for you, at a substantial savings. Normally, I would be one of them, but my job keeps me away from home too much of the time for me to offer that service on a reliable basis.

.[/QUOTE]

I clean carbs using my Ultra Sonic cleaner for $20.00 a carb if you take them apart. I'm in London, Ontario Canada N5Z1W3
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Depending on how long you've had the bike it's good to do it yourself just to see what jets you have in there. It's really quite easy and I know you said no time but you'd be surprised once you tear them down how quickly (time wise) everything goes, after that you can always have someone sync. them if you can't. terrylee

Comment

Please check the carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature. Performing the rebuild is not difficult, you just need to be careful of a few things. Your total cost should be under $50 for materials, and that includes buying a $25 bucket of carb dip, which you can reuse.

There are countless horror stories of people getting ripped off after paying someone to rebuild their carbs. Consider this your warning. If you just don't have the time then either send the carbs to a member here, like chef, or maybe even me. It will be cheaper in the long run to get the job done right the first time.

Good luck.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Check out Sirius Consolidated for the bowl gaskets...I get a pack of 4 for the VM carbs for 10.00 and thats about what a dealer will charge for just 1.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bjlffire View Post
                I have the skill, I think
                Just not the time.
                Any Idea what it should cost to have this done?
                Have member chef1366 do your carbs (and do them right!! ask me how I know )

send him a PM
                PM sent to you
                Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

It also depends on how far you want to go. I personally replace all those JIS phillips screws with stainless allen head screws, which adds to the total cost but greatly improves both the looks and the ability to go back in if there are issues.
                  I recommend:
                  o-rings
                  gaskets
                  screws
                  dip
                  That will yield a good looking, good performing, easy to maintain set of carbs.
                  But that's just me.
                  Some things not mentioned: The pliers to remove the circlips. The spray carb cleaner. Assorted screwdrivers if you do not already have them.
                  Nessism's tutorial has an excellent list of the tools and supplies required. Stick to that list and to the tutorial (no shortcuts allowed) and you will have no issues, and still come out ahead of paying someone else to do the work for you. And have more tools and stuff for your collection.

Comment

Im in the process of rebuilding mine and its quite easy to do (although some of the screws are being very stubborn) as long as you keep everything organized.

like others have said, do it yourself or send them to a member here. Itll save you a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Check out Sirius Consolidated for the bowl gaskets...I get a pack of 4 for the VM carbs for 10.00 and thats about what a dealer will charge for just 1.
                      Link to share?

Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X