carb issue after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb issue after rebuild

i will try to keep this short bu t i wanna put all info out there for best possible help.
    engine is 1983 gs1100 with 36mm c.v's. has mac 4 into 1 and k&n pods.
    rebuilt carbs per tutorial, adjusted valves they were lose, now correct.
    has stage 3 dynojet kit
    now for the funny parts.when i diseassembled there were no o- rings on the idle jet needles, i put them in, when i took them apart they were 4.5 turns out.
    the floats were set at 26mm i set them at 22mm.
    needle clip on 5th from top now 3rd.
    had 138 mains i put in mikuni 132's
    all other jets are stock accepet for the one on back of the carb at the intake,they are 110's and for the gs1150 they were 145's stock.
    the bike ran good when bought before the rebuild of the carbs so i assume the 110's will be o.k. but had trouble unless over 4k rpm and when plug cap for #2 was pulled at idle there was no drop in idle , the rest of the cylinders did drop at idle when plug cap pulled.
    set up gravity tank fillied carbs fired right up idled at 4.5k rpm
    turned idle screws all the way in to get 1.5k rpm thats as low as i can get it.
    also replaced just the float needles with new ones,i let the carbs fill gravity off the remote tank and no gass came out.i plugged off the vaccuum for the pet cock activator.there are 2 more open vent tubes high on the carbs i assume are for overflow.
    if i drop the floats back to 26mm will it lean it out at idle? seems to be running rich, the plug electrodes were dry but outer ring a lil wet.
    hopefully thats enuff info to get the help i need and ty very much in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM.

You need the DJ138 mains. Those are stage three, pods and a pipe.
    Air jet (the one in the mouth of the carb body) needs to be stock, maybe 150 or 160. 110?? Way to small. It'll drown on gas.
    Stock pilots
    Needle clip at 2.5 from the TIP of the needle ( you'll need to shim the clip with another washer)
    Mix screws at 2.5-3 turns out.

Comment

k kid i will try that later this week when i get the parts but for now,
      i put the floats back to 26mm and the idle screws 2.5 outer carbs 3 on the inners,and synced the carbs runs smoother than ever has for now.and when i pull plug caps they all make it drop idle some.
      but now the issue is it starts hard and never did.a lil starter kick back but not every time i start it hmm. not gonna do much more till i get the other jets. ty again

Comment

ok i am stubborn.took it for a ride and it runs better than ever kinds like i feel an engine should.according to the plugs its lean at w.o.t. so like u said kid back in with the 138 mains yup. i think after that and a retune it be sweet sweet.
        so happy i have put so many hours into this bike this year, and usualy when i do that something goes really wrong but so far so good.no more oil leaks and everything else is in spec now.I LOVE G.S's and g.t's

Comment

Working...
        X