Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 gs550l flooding but not over flowing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs550l flooding but not over flowing...

1982 gs550l flooding but not over flowing. Won't run and oil smells like gas. Why is this happening? Thanks bin advance.

Petcock is shot or it was left on prime instead of on/res

Make sure you replace your oil and oil filter, check your petcock, and I'd even pull the plugs out of the engine and turn over by hand
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Brand new peacock. But this is using a funnel as fuel supply. It won't start or even try to run.

Comment

WTF? Brand new peacock? Cruelty to animals?
        Are you using the funnel to pour gasoline into the oil?

This whole thing is senseless.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          WTF? Brand new peacock? Cruelty to animals?
          Are you using the funnel to pour gasoline into the oil?

This whole thing is senseless.
          No, he removed a spark plug and thought he'd just bypass the whole carb setup and pours it directly into the cylinders

No really dude, you've got a couple threads going simultaneously with multiple problems, how are we supposed to help, plus we have no history on the bike.
          Your questions are cryptic at best, and that's being polite.

Comment

Lol sry no peacocks. But I have 2 problems a coil running 12v on both wires but still firing and my plugs getting so much gas my engines flooded. Um poring a gas in to the hose from the carbs where it should go. My question is are my floats not set right? How many different things could flooding be caused by?

Comment

Only one. Neglected maintenance.

Comment

It hasn't ran since 94. I've been restoring it so I've hit everything I can think of that this website said to do.

Comment

This bit of history helps a lot, but its still not much to go on. Apparently you cleaned the carbs properly as the tutorial shows? You must have set the float levels and checked the fuel level? Were the needle valves in good shape, and not sticking?

Comment

OK, the coil thing is no big deal. Don't worry about it, but don't leave the bike sitting with the ignition on and not running. If you're doing some electrical troubleshooting flip the switch to stop first. It's true that you could melt the coils if you leave the bike ignition on for too long without the motor running. You probably can't hurt the Dyna.

You can take a block of wood and rap gently on the float bowls to try to get the needles to seat. Can you see WHICH carb is overflowing? Did you rebuild the carbs according to instructions? Are you pinching off the funneled fuel supply when you're not trying to run it? Else it's like leaving it in prime; ideally you'd like the carbs to hold that back but they can't always do that. Also how high are you holding your fuel supply? Height * density = pressure. Don't hold it higher than tank level.

Comment

OK i think I need to reset my floats the just use the gas tank.

Comment

An easy solution to get the tank out of the way and have a small fuel supply is to save an old 90w gear oil bottle, they have a nipple you can cut to the desired O.D., cut the bottom off, afix a wire/coat hangar through the bottom, hang upside down from your handlebars, hook your hose to the nipple, and voila, mini tank.

Comment

Working...
                        X