How to seal petock against tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to seal petock against tank?

I just completed removing the rust from the inside of my fuel tank and now it is time to put the petcock back on. While removing the petcock I noticed a rubbery red sealant used between the petcock and the tank. According to Clymer only the gasket is necessary. Would you guys recommend using a sealant in addition to the gasket? And if there is possbily an issue with the petock gasket what sealant would you recommend (along with new gasket)?

I've had to take off and reattach my petcock probably 20 times at this point and have never had issues just having the gasket there. As long as the gasket is in good condition and the surface it's attaching to is clean it should be just fine

Comment

As kev says, its not needed if the gasket is in good shape.

Spyug

Comment

I'd get both a new petcock seal and new sealing washers for the attachment screws. The sealing washers are like a dowtey seal and are necessary to keep fuel from leaking out around the bolt heads. You also need the proper screws; they need a smooth surface underneath the head so the sealing washer has good compression.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not sure how much the sealing washers are or how long they would take to get to you, I bought 'bonded washers' from Ace Hardware locally. It is a cupped washer with a rubber seal bonded to it. Worked great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mmain1 View Post
            Not sure how much the sealing washers are or how long they would take to get to you, I bought 'bonded washers' from Ace Hardware locally. It is a cupped washer with a rubber seal bonded to it. Worked great for me.
            Good tip, I'm looking for some and I got an Ace, nearby. Thanks
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by mmain1 View Post
              Same thing, different name. Be sure and get metric ones, though. IIRC, I have seen them at local auto parts, but not sure they had the metric sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                Same thing, different name. Be sure and get metric ones, though. IIRC, I have seen them at local auto parts, but not sure they had the metric sizes.
                6 mm vs 1/4 inch- close enough for this application!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I've never had a problem getting the petcock to seal on the tank an any of my GS's. The thing to look out for is the bolt seal washers. They are always worn out. I have remade them using gasket material and added a piece of inner tube with a hole. Works like a charm.

Comment

I've been using black 1/4" nylon washers from the hardware store for the last, oh, ten years or so...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Petcock sealed fine with the current gasket. Red, rubbery gunk on there before just made me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I've been using black 1/4" nylon washers from the hardware store for the last, oh, ten years or so...
                        At Ace, the sealing washer was 36 cents, while the nylon washer was 27 cents- I decided to splurge and get the sealing washers to match my new deluxe Georgefix petcock. Got silly , ignored calendar, and went for 75 minute ride to test petcock operation- bike ran flawless . Rutted roads, lots of sand, and still frozen ponds in 75 degree heat- life is good.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X