cutting out and dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cutting out and dying

when bike is warm it cuts out like its out of fuel...and dies at hen the clutch is in...but sometimes it runs just fine...

down the highway is a noticable dead spot..like it runs on 3 cyl

course the carbs been dipped synced, valves adjusted and so on...any ideas?

bike is bone stock 81 850

is it possible the "in check" valves are now worn?...can carbs come unsynced within 500 miles? spark plugs bad? im kinda clueless why its acting stupid...it ran great for about 400-500 miles then acted up yesterday
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM.

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
    when bike is warm it cuts out like its out of fuel...and dies at hen the clutch is in...but sometimes it runs just fine...

is it possible the "in check" valves are now worn?...can carbs come unsynced within 500 miles? spark plugs bad? im kinda clueless why its acting stupid...it ran great for about 400-500 miles then acted up yesterday
    " "in check" valves are now worn" ??? likely , whatever they are!
    Anyways, since "it ran great.... then acted up yesterday" , maybe you picked up a tank of bad gas. No inline fuel filter? try new stuff, maybe with Seafoam dose.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When did this set of symptoms occur?
      1) Did this all start immediately after you rebuilt the carbs?
      2) Was it the problem that made you rebuild the carbs in the first place?
      3) Or was the bike running fine after you rebuilt the carbs and it is a new problem?

If it's carb related, it might be dirt in one or more of your carbs that has travelled down from your tank. Any rust in your tank? This could affect fuel level in the float bowls by holding the valve open (what you called "check valve"?) or be intermittently blocking a fuel jet.

I'm also thinking it could be an ignition problem, perhaps a loose wire from your points, pickups, or ignitor, a lead to your coils, or a failing coil, failing high-tension lead (spark plug wire) even a bad electrical contact or fuse. I guess what I'm saying is check through the electrical system associated with the ignition system and see if you find anything. Maybe start by pulling all four spark plugs and see if any of them are darker or wetter than the others. Coils sometimes work fine when cold, but then fail as they heat up from the engine.

Comment

started about 400 miles after rebuild of carbs...carb were just dirty to begine with..

took float bowl off...found brown sediments in every bowl...carb 2 being worst...

well i think i know the problem..guess i didnt clean tank good enough...

Comment

An inline fuel filter might be a good idea, since that will work better than the tiny screens over your fuel-level valve inside the carbs.

I would still pull the spark plugs before pulling the carbs to give them another cleaning. Pulling the plugs for a quick check is really easy and you don't even need to pull the fuel tank first.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay View Post
            An inline fuel filter might be a good idea, since that will work better than the tiny screens over your fuel-level valve inside the carbs.

I would still pull the spark plugs before pulling the carbs to give them another cleaning. Pulling the plugs for a quick check is really easy and you don't even need to pull the fuel tank first.
            i have an inline filter as well..forgot to add that cleaned plugs too

Comment

I has a similar problem, There was a chunk of crap and it was behind the float needle seat, it took me a while to find it, then I had a inline fuel filter and it would kink the fuel line when I was going down the road it felt like it was running out of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                I has a similar problem, There was a chunk of crap and it was behind the float needle seat, it took me a while to find it, then I had a inline fuel filter and it would kink the fuel line when I was going down the road it felt like it was running out of gas.
                well i didnt spray carb cleaner up there yet...i just inspected it for a sticking needle..

i also took it out...it does this cold too...then after a jerky bumpy ride i opened it up...was i riding a bull?

also in netrual say you hold 4k rpm..it backfires at a steady rate..im wondering if its time to recheck valves
                Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Unless you really think you messed up the valves, there is nothing here that indicates that valve adjustment is the problem. Even if you did them too tight, wound the **** out of it and bent a valve, that would usually just put you down on power unless you actually broke the valve.

Check the simple stuff first, before you start worrying yourself to death!

Comment

Have the intake O-rings been replaced?

Comment

Working...
                    X