if its cold, forget it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kb_air View Post
    well man, I never even thought to sync the carbs or clean the points until i asked here. So I am taking that advice, I don't understand what assumption your running on that says I'm not. 3 people mentioned maybe syncing my carbs, and someone else said to check my points. thats what im doing, and the only thing i know to do at this point that would make the most sense on my budget and expertise.
    Before you sync you need to adjust the valve clearances. Your sync will he all for naught if you adjust them after as it can change.

And tight valve clearances is THE number one cause of hard cold starting. This should be done before you continue with anything else.

Comment

yes, this.
      Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Before you sync you need to adjust the valve clearances. Your sync will he all for naught if you adjust them after as it can change.

And tight valve clearances is THE number one cause of hard cold starting. This should be done before you continue with anything else.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

I'm doing my valves tonight. I've already gotten the cover off and tried to measure clearances. No dice... All are too tight to get even a .038mm feeler in.

It's easy, and if you neglect it you'll end up damaging the engine.

Comment

Recently found this true myself. Carbs synced with valves half ass adjusted and new shims on the way. When I got the valves into spec it threw the carb sync off a little.

Valves First!
          Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

well man, I never even thought to sync the carbs or clean the points until i asked here. So I am taking that advice, I don't understand what assumption your running on that says I'm not. 3 people mentioned maybe syncing my carbs, and someone else said to check my points. thats what im doing, and the only thing i know to do at this point that would make the most sense on my budget and expertise.
            I have been on this site only a couple months longer than yourself and I understand what your feeling. I am on two motorcycle forum sites (the other an XS site) and I have noted that over here on this site there can be tendency for members to be short & maybe even seem irritated sometimes. Most of them mean well. I understand your frustration as I have been battling my GS for months now too. What I can say about this site is that it is easily the most comprehensive I have seen and members like BassCliff have excellent sites as well with a wealth of information that go hand in hand with GS Resource. Hang in there my friend. Good Luck!

Comment

If you get REAL stumped on doing your valve adjustment, I will be (sort of) in the neighborhood for a few weeks.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                I've learned (am learning) the hard way that not listening to the advice given freely when asked for leads to many many more problems that would have been resolved the first time. I just hate to see people continue having issues because they didn't bother to make the effort to try especially knowing the problems could have been resolved sooner had they.
                I think you may have jumped the gun a little on this one. I think he's just taking in advise and does plan to follow it with some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If you get REAL stumped on doing your valve adjustment, I will be (sort of) in the neighborhood for a few weeks.

There it is. Flag this fella down as he passes thru your hood! Your mechanic may learn a trick or three as well.
                  '80 GS1000ST
                  '92 ZX-11
                  Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

wow this ****er is running great

so i got the carbs all synced and the points cleaned and adjusted. if i didn't go to this guy i would never have known about adjusting them and apparently they were way off. i think the points being out of wack was the bigger problem. so with a bit of tweaking i took it off the lift and got it to 95 in like.. 7 seconds. WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM! HOLY **** my bike is running better than ever realized it could. (AWWWW YEA!) i will post to see if any of this helpS the cold start issue tomorrow or the next day when i try to start it cold. thanks for the help and ideas everyone. yall rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

that would rock man, if your close enough and dont mind showing a greenhorn a thing or two.

Comment

so i got the carbs all synced and the points cleaned and adjusted. if i didn't go to this guy i would never have known about adjusting them and apparently they were way off. i think the points being out of wack was the bigger problem. so with a bit of tweaking i took it off the lift and got it to 95 in like.. 7 seconds. WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM! HOLY **** my bike is running better than ever realized it could. (AWWWW YEA!) i will post to see if any of this helpS the cold start issue tomorrow or the next day when i try to start it cold. thanks for the help and ideas everyone. yall rock.
                        It's amazing what a little maintenance will do.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

well the bike cold started 10000x easier, but was still a little bit difficult, still had to choke it and needed to kick it 6-7 times (far... far far less than before). and im tellin you its running amazing. its been a long time coming but we finally did it. my bike runs like it should, sounds like it should, all the electrical (besides electric start- pishposh) works. so im satisfied. i feel accomplished, i have a amazing working piece of history that spanks the pants off of my buddies Harley in any kind of a race any day. on cloud 9

Comment

Still need to do that valve adjustment if you want it perfect.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

for sure, is my next project.

Comment

for sure, is my next project.
                                He is on my list, we are working out the details.

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X