Chunk of zip tie in the cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chunk of zip tie in the cylinder

I was checking the shims this weekend using the zip tie method, and between me pulling prematurely and me putting a severe crimp on the folds when I made the "tool", there is now a chunk of zip tie in my #3 cyl. The missing piece is about 1/2" long.

How worried should I be about this piece? I fished around in the cyl a bit with a stick with some grease on it, and came up with nothing. The valve seats fine, so I'm thinking that if it is above the valve it will be blown out. However, if it is in the cyl and just being stubborn, I don't know how much of a problem it could pose.

Anyone have any experience with this before? I'm thinking that if need be, I can pull the header to try to see if it is in the exhaust port. How big of a pain is it to pull and reseal the header? I've never done it on a bike before.

Thanks for reading,
    Chris

(Points to the first person with a joke about "pulling prematurely")

Comment

That doesn't happen when you use the, easy to use, stock-type tool.

Just sayin'

Eric

PS: perhaps blowing it out with high pressure air could work?

Comment

First, be very worried. That piece will not blow itself out, you have to physically remove it yourself. Most likely you will have to remove the head to get to it. Sucks, but that is the way it is.

Comment

Find it before you try to run it again! To me it's not that hard to remove the exhaust, but having a helper is good with how bulky it is. The biggest thing to watch out for is breaking off the exhaust bolts, which is common.

Comment

You're not going to get it through the exhaust port. I've done this very same thing. Yes you need to remove it. Yes the head will have to come off. No you shouldn't re-use the head gasket, and yes you should order a new head and base gasket. Removing the head will often disturb the base (cylinder to block gasket) and if you don't replace it now, it may leak, badly, later.

Comment

why cant you use a shop vac and suck it out?

Comment

Where is your sense of adventure? If you are bold enough to stick a zip tie where it doesn't belong why not run it and see if it comes out? It IS just plastic....

Comment

Keep fishing around til you get it. Can't have gone anywhere else. Even if it takes all day it's quicker, cheaper and easier than pulling the head.
                  1979 GS750E

Comment

I would definitely NOT pull the head... Im sure you can fish it out.

Pop off the headers and take a look in there. Use a light to look through the plug hole.

Comment

One of those cheap 3-prong grabber tools from Harbor Freight perhaps?

Eric

Comment

Patience and persistance Grasshopper. Shop vac with a small hose attached should work. Coat hanger with a dab of grease or some duct tape might work. I'd spend a lot of time fishing before I pulled the head. But you MUST have that piece in your hand before you fire it up again.
                        And for Pete's sake get the proper tool for the job next time!

Comment

For others out there, PLEASE LEARN from this and,
                          instead of using Black Magic, just get one of these instead...

Comment

I don't think there's any guarantee that a greased stick would find it. It would have been nice, though. The carbs are easy to get off an 850. I'd say pull 'em, then make sure the intake is open before getting the air swirl going in the cylinder as suggested by Highway Glider. I've done something similar to dry carb parts in a jar. The tiny little parts hit the hand covering hte jar hard enough to sting. Hold a screen or something over the carb boot so you know when it comes out.

If that doesn't get it, then I'd pull the exhaust off. They re-seal easily if you have new gaskets. The old ones might seal again, but you won't know unless you try. The danger in pulling the exhaust is the common problem of breaking a bolt off in the head. Use penetrating oil and heat if you have the slightest sign of difficulty. Don't forget to undo the crossover pipe under the engine, so you can take just half of the exhaust system off.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Similar thread:

His fix:

"So I got it out pretty easily, I just took off the carb boot and there it was on the intake side. I had to turn the engine until the valve was open, then it let go and I was able to pull it out with some needle nose pliers."
                              1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Working...
                              X