float height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float height

I have an '80 GS850GLT and have cleaned the carbs in the dip for 24 hours or more. Blew out everything with compressed air and poked out most of the holes and made sure I could see light through the others.
    I'm assembling the carbs and am a little confused of how and where to measure the floats. I have seen them measured both at the flat spot and at the lowest part of the float. I know it needs to be 23-25mm. part of my confusion is that my floats are 20-21mm at the highest part of the float. Also do I bend the "tab" in the middle of the float hinge to adjust the height?

Thanks for the help in advance

and yep, bent the tab in the middle to adjust height, and after, measure both the left and right sides of the float, as you could have bent one slightly down as you were trying to bend the tab.

Nic
    Last edited by niclpnut; 03-21-2012, 11:14 PM.
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and awesome picture. That is the best picture I have seen of where to measure.

Comment

Thanks goes to Basscliff's website.

That pic and others of float height measurement can be found here:

If you haven't already, check out the Very informative and valuable site in its entirety:

Regards,

Nic
        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by prpldude View Post
          I have an '80 GS850GLT and have cleaned the carbs in the dip for 24 hours or more. Blew out everything with compressed air and poked out most of the holes and made sure I could see light through the others.
          If you took the time and effort to poke out "most" of the holes, why didn't you do the rest of them?

The ones you missed might be the important ones.

I know it needs to be 23-25mm. part of my confusion is that my floats are 20-21mm at the highest part of the float.
          OK, you have seen the picture for where to measure, now get the right dimension.

You should be setting them to 22.4 +/-1.0 mm, not 23-25 mm.

Thanks for the quick reply and awesome picture. That is the best picture I have seen of where to measure.
          Thanks. Those are my grubby fingers in the picture.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ohh when I said most.. I meant the ones I didn't I could see through.. the bigger openings. I cleared all the little ones and the ones I couldn't see through.

For the float height I went off of the manual. page 139 or 9-9 in the PDF. I forgot to go back to the instructions off of Basscliff's site. I'll take off the bowls and double check.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Comment

Ohh when I said most.. I meant the ones I didn't I could see through.. the bigger openings.
              Just because you can see light through a hole does not mean it's not partially clogged.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I gotcha
                I'll take them back apart this weekend and run the wire through all the holes.. Thanks for the scolding

Comment

Working...
                X