Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Carb Slides Stuck 1979 750

Hi,

Last night I begun to tear down the carbs off a 1979 GS750L that hasn't been run sense 1989. It only has 3000 miles and has always been stored inside. The throttle was stuck due to stuck carbs.

There was still some gas in the tank and even some in the carbs. They are a huge mess of dried out gunk.

I have the carbs separated and the bowls off and also the top of the carb off.

Only one of the 4 brass slides wiggles a bit, maybe up and down 1 cm. Should they simply slide up and out of the carb?

I have the main jet needle exposed as I have removed the jets from the bottom half of the bowl.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
    Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2012, 02:57 PM. Reason: It is a GS not a GF

if you have the main shaft out of the carbs that holds the slide arms ,then yea they should slide out as a complete unit, soak it in really hot water, close to boiling, the aluminum will expand and they should slide out
    im assuming the bike is gs not gf? lol

Comment

As long as you've pulled the linkage arm out they *should* slide right out. I can tell you from experience however that whatever they made those early carbs out of, when it sits long enough to corrode with the slide, it's like they're welded in there. I tried everything to get one out once, including ultimately destroying the body and slide. Boiled it in CLR, soaked it in all sorts of concoctions trying to free it up and it wouldn't budge.

Now that's not to say yours are in that state, you may try a little prying with something softer than the metal, such as a stick of nylon or the like. But I wouldnt use anything that could damage the slide or the body.

If you're to the point you feel totally out of luck, I have a set of carbs I'd be willing to sell.

Comment

A heat gun on the carb bodies will soften the varnish and (in many cases) release the slides. Had some stuck slides on some VM22's and the heat trick allowed the slides to fall free under their own weight.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes it is a GS. Ok, that confirms I wasn't missing a screw or something as I do have them separated and the slide arm disconnected.

I'll continue to soak and try to heat as well. So far I have only sprayed with carb cleaner. It looks like pine-sol is another choice for a cleaning agent on carbs?

Comment

Where are you located COR? If you are in the states, get the Berryman's gallon sized carb cleaner. It comes with a basket for dipping and is very very handy.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes I'm in North Dakota so I have access to Napa, O'Rielly's and the like.

From a bit of quick looking it appears it should be in the $20-30 range?

Comment

Yea. If you get it at Walmart (they carry it here most times) it'll run about 18 but Oreilly's and Autozone jacked their prices up to $30ish
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

that carb dip doesnt loosen corrosion , i dont know if soda would work on the aluminum corrosion like rust or not maybe someone else here knows

be careful cause if there like im thinking, the slides are anodized,and something to strong will eat the coating off , hop this helps

Comment

I ended up getting one of the 4 unstock tonight. The others will be a weekend project.

I believe the culprit was mostly the needle being stuck and only part of the slide being stuck...hopefully the case with the others as well!

Comment

Penetrating oil loosened the slides on the VM's off my 78 1000 enough for me to get them out.Good dunk in carb cleaner and they move as easy as they should.

Comment

Working...
                      X