Carbs leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs leaking

Number 2 carb (I'm counting left to right as I sit on the bike, is that correct?!!) and sometimes number 3 carb, are both leaking. I mean the fuel is coming out of the overflow at the bottom. No 2 is absolutely pouring out! I have taken them apart and cleaned them a few times and all seems fine. Its after a short run around town that they overflow worst, they do not get better with use! A carb rebuild kit was apparently fitted very recently so I assume that would include the shut-off valve thing - but probably not the float?
    I have a spare set of carbs in the garage, should I try swapping any bits?

Thanks,

Dom.

sounds like the needle and seats are wore check the needle to see if there is a groove by the tips, if so they need replaced, if not maybe the float height is off ,and letting fuel fill to high so it comes out the overflow tubes

see if you can replace them as a kit ,they might not be available

Comment

what bike and carbs are you referring to??
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

First check is float height. It could be off and letting those bowls flood over. Next take a look at the float needles - you'll need a magnifying glass. If there is any trace of wear, usually a slight ridge. replace them.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks guys.
          Float height is correct and valve looks to be in good condition. Cannot understand it! It must be something major cos it POURS out! I cannot see why the float or valve would be sticking.
          Any more ideas???

Comment

If you have looked at the needles with a magnifying glassa and they are flawless and the seats are ok then your floats must be sticking. They are a snug fit inside the float bowls - check that they aren't fouling the sides etc.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Yes, I am thinking sticking floats - but does it seem a weird coincidence it is happening on two carbs? Also, what is the best way to find out if they are sticking cos obviously you cant see them (I wish the float bowl was made of glass!). And if they are sticking, what can you do about it?
              Cheers, thanks for all the help.

Comment

If the carbs are still on the bike give the bowls a sharp tap. That's often all that's needed to free them off.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

not to steal a thread but i kinda got the same issue. but on mine its coming out the bottom of breather box (on side stand)and some days it runs fine next day it floods out after a mile or two. is this the same situation cause that was my first thought also(sticking floats)?
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I've tried tapping the bowls many many times and had no luck. I have had the bowls off quite a few times to try to work out what is going on and taken the valves out and given everything a clean and put it all back together hoping it will be ok. Its really frustrating!!

Comment

Hi,

Aftermarket "carb kits" are incomplete and often include inferior parts. Except for perhaps the float bowl gasket, you should always use Suzuki OEM parts in your carbs to replace only the parts necessary. Unless they are broken or worn you can re-use them after they've been properly disassembled, dipped, and cleaned. Click HERE, HERE, and HERE for the proper procedures. The procedures are similar, but not exactly the same, between CV and VM carbs.

A bad petcock will cause fuel overflow. Click below.

Overflowing Carbs

The float valve needles or seats need only be worn a little out of round to cause problems. If you still have 30+ year old O-rings in your carbs, then you're just asking for trouble. Click http://cycleorings.com.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

just printed off your notes on carbs, the sync, float pin removal,and petcock operations. VERY VERY INFORMATIVE,im gonna hit the zuki dealer with a parts order(petcock kit,and 2 carb kits) on payday. kinda thought that would be the case in the end just didnt wanna drop a bundle of $ if there was a cheap,easy alternitive fix.

Comment

Working...
                        X