She keeps getting better, but still not there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She keeps getting better, but still not there

Hey guys, my 1000 is coming along, but still has a few issues. I have gotten a lot of good information from this site, that has really made a HUGE difference. Now granted, the stock airbox I found is not here yet, neither is my carbtune, so I haven't got everything squared away, however I do have a general question or two.

First, after bench syncing my carbs, setting the mix screws out 2.5 turns, and adding new intake boot o-ring, her idle is down to a normal level, what a relief. That being said, my problems right now are this. No fire on cyl 4, and one of the carbs is still backfiring alot, i am not sure, but Its either 3 or 4, leaning to four because of the no fire on that cylinder. What do you guys think this could be. It backfires a LOT when I try to rev it. I know its getting spark to the plug, because I could feel it in my hand when I pulled the wire off with no change , haha.

On a side note, at low rpms (800-1200 or so) there is a nasty rattle coming from what sounds like the back of the motor, but it clears COMPLETELY after those low rpms, any takers?

It will backfire until you put the airbox on and seal it up, it's running lean

#4 may need the ignition wire trimmed and a new cap

That horrible noise is probably the cam chain tensioner needing service
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Cam chain tensioner, hmmm, Ill have to read into that. Adjustable, or just replace?

Comment

Not really adjustable (you can put more spring tension on the outside knob), but certainly rebuildable.

Make sure you read and understand what all the parts of that do before you go touching it - particularly if the motor is running! Do not turn the knob counter-clockwise unless the unit is locked! On mine when it was noisy I could look at the knob and see it shaking. It needed more spring tension, but I went ahead and did the full rebuild. It's about $10 in parts, and I shouldn't have to worry about weeps/leaks from it for another 20 years.

Comment

Working...
        X