Can;t get teh gas out of my GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can;t get teh gas out of my GS1000L

I have a gs 1000L 1979. I took the gas tank off the frame to bondo and paint but it is filled with gas. The bike was running fine before I took the tank off and there were no fuel issues. Now I want to get the gas out to paint it but for some reason when I turn the petcock on the bottom of the tank to "reserve" or "on" nothing happens..the gas doesn't come out.

any thoughts on how I can get the gas out short of turning the tank upside down and it draining out everywhere? thx in advance

Try 'prime' if you got it.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Just remove the whole petcock assembly- you'll do a better paint job and, as a bonus, you can clean/inspect petcock filter.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your petcock is vacuum operated. Meaning it won't flow without suction. Setting it to prime by-passes this and allows fuel to trickle into the carbs to ease first start ups after sitting.

The best way to get the tank out would be to remove the petcock. Or if you don't want to do this for some reason, you can siphon it out the top using a hose and a pump.

Comment

longer fuel line on petcock to a 5 gallon can and set to prime...wait about 8 tom 10 minutes. Be mindfull thatb there will still be maybe 1/2 pint or less still that wont fully drain. I just remove the petcock once it all stops and swish the tank around over a pile of old rags to shake that last few drops out.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ok...thanks...removing the petcock it is......Any good place to buy a new one if this one is all busted up once removed? Toronto Canada or online? thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by speedorchid View Post
              Ok...thanks...removing the petcock it is......Any good place to buy a new one if this one is all busted up once removed? Toronto Canada or online? thanks again.
              Since it wasn't flowing in on or res ( cuz no suction), your petcock might be OK. remove one screw and gas will pour out! then remove other screw and inspect. New petcock- fifty to eighty dollars.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                longer fuel line on petcock to a 5 gallon can and set to prime...wait about 8 tom 10 minutes. Be mindfull thatb there will still be maybe 1/2 pint or less still that wont fully drain. I just remove the petcock once it all stops and swish the tank around over a pile of old rags to shake that last few drops out.

8 to 10 minutes? I had to wait a 1/2 hour for my tank to drain like a 1.75 gallons.

Comment

While draining, open the top of the tank as well, it will allow more air in at once.....and allow the gas to flow as fast as it can

or

get a big 5 gallon bucket, take off the gas cap and pour out the gas that way, once its all out, pour the gas from the bucket into a proper gas container, or your lawnmower, snowblower, etc.....

Comment

Removing the petcock was the best. It still spilled a little on my neighbour who insisted on helping me in his suit as he drove home from work. ha ha.

did it at the end of the drive so all good....thanks
                    sanded

primed

painted:

turned out amazing....but still have to put on a top coat.

Comment

Working...
                    X