best fuel proof liquid gasket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best fuel proof liquid gasket ?

I was rebuilding a set of carbs for a friend today and one of the rubber float bowl gaskets tore when i went to clean it. Now that bowl leaks. A new gasket for that carb is 25 and the owner is even cheaper than me .Is there a liquid rubber or a fuel proof gasket in a tube i could seal the bowl with?. the bike gets almost no mile on it each year so he does not want to spend any money, and i just want it out of my garage

i would say make one, thats so crooked 25 for a carb gasket
    maybe bonnet material or just paper gasket material, if you dare yama bond or honda bond stuff might if you let it set up, i havent tried it yet lol

Comment

Apply Weatherstrip Adhesive and let it dry hard before installation.
      It will not leak.

Eric

Comment

I have made a bunch from paper when I didn't want to wait for delivery. They are fairly easy to cut and work fine.

Get the little holes right.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I found a tube of permatex tack and seal in my tool box.I Didnt know i had it and was randomly reading lables ofall the sealing crap i had aquired when this one stood out. The lable said it was leakproof to oil, gasoline, gasohol, and deisel fuel. I applied some under and over the ripped gasket and on both mating surfaces. its only been eight hours but its not leaking yet. ill keep ya posted

Comment

three bond 1194

EDIT...Misread that its for a carb...get the new gasket and tellm him your not gonna take any shortcuts or he can do them him self. Carbs ..in my opinion..dont get shortcuts taken to them.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I used permatex gray RTV to seal my float bowl.
              Been going on 4 months now...nothing.
              (I actually applied 2 thick layers)

The leak was on the far-left carb, and the bike is constantly sitting on the kick-stand.
              So that means the gas is constantly in contact with the rtv...still dry and hard.

Comment

Working...
              X