79 GS850 Slide Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 Slide Carbs

Hey guys. I just got my GS850 a couple days ago so I'm still a little new to it. When my bike's real cold it takes almost 15 minutes to warm up. Is that normal? Something I can fix? What if I get them converted to cv carbs? Thanks in advance for your kind and considerate advice....

No, cold running is easily fixed, and the VM carbs are better in a lot of ways than the CVs, simplicity is one of them.

Look through Cliffs website, figure out which maintenance hasn't been done (likely all of it) and get to work.

Even in freezing temps, a well tuned GS will fire up instantly and be ready to ride away in a minute or so.

Valve clearances and carburetor cleaning will likely get you going in the right direction.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I looked but I'm not really certain what I'm looking for so I didn't find it. Could you help me? As my big sister tells me all the time, I'm just a baby. Thanks.

Comment

He gave you a link to the website where you can find tons of information. On it, is a VM carb rebuild instruction; follow it to start with. In there also, under the Read Me section, is a full list of various maintenance things that MUST be done if you want a well running machine (brakes, valve adjustment, etc). Go through that and research what's posted here as many things are covered more than once.

Welcome to the forum. What part of the Tacoma area are you in?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks, Cowboy. I appreciate it. I'm actually in Bonney Lake. You know the area?

Comment

Grew up in Spanaway and Silverdale/Bremerton.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Auburn here.

When you get done rebuilding your carbs, let me know. I have a Morgan Carb tune, so I can lend a hand with your Carb sync.

Comment

Working...
              X